PC and Videogame Wrapup for 2/16 to 2/22

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GlenHaag, Feb 16, 2003.

1. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Howdy everyone.

Here we come with another week of gaming goodness. There are a few good releases this week, so let's get to it.

GLEN'S HTF GAMES OF THE WEEK

[​IMG]
    $49.99

PC owners finally get a chance to play the game that Xbox owners have been raving about for months now. Now that the exclusivity contract is gone, everyone on every console or PC gets a chance at this excellent strategy game.

Games due to be released during between February 16th and ending February 22nd. (Pricing and release dates from Ebgames.com)

Airport Tycoon 2 (PC) - $19.99
    Gods and Generals (PC) - $19.99
    I was an Atomic Mutant (PC) - $19.99
    Splinter Cell (PC) - $49.99
    Medal of Honor Allied Assault: Platinum Edition (PC) - $49.99
    Dark Cloud 2 (PS2) - $39.99
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist of the Roses (PS2) - $49.99
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2) - $49.99
    Disaster Report (PS2) - $49.99
    High Heat Baseball 2002 (PS2) - $49.99
    Colin McRae Rally 3 (Xbox) - $49.99
    Apex (Xbox) - $49.99

As you can see there are a few good titles out there this week to be had. Dark Cloud 2 has already received some terrific reviews. High Heat Baseball is becoming one of the better console game sports franchises, and Apex has gotten a very high review from one of HTF's own, Bjoern Roy.

Let's get to the show.

Target

Xbox
    Star Wars Starfighter: Special Edition - $16.99
    Project Gotham Racing - $16.99
    Tony Hawk 3 - $16.99
    Amped - $16.99

PC Games
    Law and Order - $19.88
    The Sims: Online - $32.88

Bundles
    Target makes mention of the Nintendo bundle where when you purchase a Gamecube, you get one of the 4 titles(RE0, Metroid Prime, Mario Party, or Star Fox Adventures) for free

Circuit City

Playstation 2
    Everquest Online Adventures - $49.99 (w/ one free Gamecard, giving you another free month of the game)
    Tony Hawk 4 - $39.99
    Crash Bandicoot 4 - $9.99

Gamecube
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - $29.99

Gameboy Advance
    Spongebob Squarepants - $19.99
    Rugrats - $19.99
    Jimmy Neutron - $19.99
    Rocket Power - $19.99

Gameboy Color
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - $9.99

Bundles
    Buy a PS2 and get Jampack Winter 2002 and one of the following titles(of your choosing) free. Seek and Destroy, HSX, or IHRA Drag Racing 2.

CC is also mentioning the current Gamecube offer.

Buy a GBA and get Stuart Little 2 for the GBA for free.

Toys R Us

Bundles
    - For $274.96 you get a PS2 console, a Sony Dual Shock 2 controller, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, and Black and Bruised

- For $249.96 you get an Xbox console(w/JGRF and Sega Gt 2002), a controller (maybe a generic, or it may be the Japanese Xbox conroller), Splinter Cell, and Project Gotham Racing

- For $199.96 you get a Gamecube console, an Intec Starter Kit(including controller, mem card, and extension cord), Gozilla: DaMM, and and Disney Sports Skateboarding

Don't forget with the Nintendo deal that you would also be entitled to Nintendo's promotion as well.

Best Buy

Playstation 2
    Spiderman - $29.99
    Grand Theft Auto III - $29.99
    Hitman 2 - $39.99
    007 Nightfire - $39.99

PC Games
    Simcity 4 - $39.99
    The Sims Online - $34.99
    Ultima Online: Age of Shadows - $24.99
    Age of Mythology - $39.99
    Meieval: Total War - $29.99
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein: GOTY - $18.99

Bundles

- Best Buy is also mentioning the Nintendo promotion for the Gamecube, plus they are including NBA Street for the GC.

- If you buy a PS2 at Best Buy, they are giving you 20% off any of the following accessories. Either the DVD Remote, a 2-pack of Memory Cards, or a Dual Shock 2 controller

CompUSA

Xbox
    NFL Fever 2003 - $24.99
    Conflict: Desert Storm - $29.99

Playstation 2
    Grand Theft Auto 3 4 - $24.99

PC Games
    Nascar 2003 - $39.99
    Battlefield 1942 - $39.99
    Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome - $14.99
    Command and Conquer: Generals - $39.99
    Unreal 2 - $39.99

Presidents Day Sale Deals at CompUSA

These deals are only good on Sunday the 16th and Monday the 17th.

PC Games
    Xtreme Air Racing - $9.99
    Street Legal - $9.99
    Stronghold - $9.99
    Lemonade Tycoon - $9.99
    Slot City - $9.99
    Mega Mahjongg - $9.99
    The Thing - $9.99 (after $10 rebate)
    Law and Order - $19.99
    Icewind Dale II - $19.99 (after $10 rebate)

Best Deals of the week
    GTA 3 for the PS2 at Compusa for $24.99 is a good deal for any of you who don't already have the game.

Other than that it's a pretty slow week ad wise. A good deal of the games in the ads are at normal prices...DAMN THEM for trying to make money. [​IMG]

Have a great week all, and please keep adding any deals that you find in B&M stores, or on the web.

Later,

Glen

2. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Sheesh, when did Breath of Fire V come out? Oh well, probably get that and Dark Cloud 2 later on. I have Legend of Zelda to play this week. [​IMG]

3. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

Yeah... don't forget that if you preorder Zelda (most anyplay that I've seen)... you get the bonus disk with Ocarina of Time, and Master Quest.

It's a pretty nice effort to get you to order Zelda Wind Waker, but the OOT is one of THE BEST games ever. It just rocks

Jim

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Target has some Gamecube games bundled with a memory card 251. I saw Animal Crossing, StarFox, Mario Party 4 & a couple others. I don't know if StarFox w/ memory card would still be free with the purchase of a Gamecube or not...

Wal-Mart had a _large_ display of PS2 games for $19.82...this was separate from their usual budget display at my local store...I didn't check the specific titles as there were a bunch of them.

5. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

The only good thing in the 19.99 walmart games is Klonoa 2, it's worth buying if you haven't bought it already.

6. GlenHaag

Wow. I remember that one fetching a pretty high price on Ebay a while back. Might be worth trying to track down. Although the prices have come down a bit as of late.

Glen

7. GlenHaag

Straight from the weekly DVD Roundup, this is a deal at Costco.

This coupon is part of the brochures they hand out at the doors. If noone is doing this at your location, ask at the membership desk. It's white, black, and (mostly) two shades of blue, and a one page thing with perforations for the double-sided coupons (back side is the UPC code for scanning the coupon). There's also a $5 off PS2 two-pack video games, taking $29.99 items down to $24.99...someone tell Glenn!

I guess you get the coupon at the door and they have 2 packs of games there. I don't have a Costco near me, so this is news to me.

Good luck.

Glen

8. Roger_C

Roger_C Stunt Coordinator

No mention of Dark Cloud 2 (PS2)? I'm interested, but don't know if I ready to commit to another 50+ hour RPG right now. [​IMG]

9. GlenHaag

No mentions of it in the ads Roger. I would bet that it will pop in them next week.

Video Games are usually that way, for whatever reason.

Glen

10. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Just saw a couple of Gamecube games (Scorpion King, 4X4 Evo) in the locked case at Target, not on clearance, but with new regular shelf tags of 12.99 and little triangular stickers in the upper right corner of the front of the game box that said "Get in the Game," with a couple of funky little symbols underneath next to the Target logo. Looks like a corporate promo to dump on suckers like me -- I bought both GC games. There were also a couple of XBox games, and 8-9 PS2 games, with the same stickers/prices. I don't remember the names of the PS2 games; I remember that Enclave was one of the XBox games. I hope somebody finds something decent.

11. GlenHaag

Man. I'm going to have to run there tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up John.

I did pick up NBA 2k3 tonight at CC. They were running it for $49.99. Had them call EB, and picked it up for $11.50 plus tax. [​IMG]

Good times... good times.

Glen

12. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

Target also had 'The Simpson's Road Rage' and a 007 game for for X-Box at $16.99. Apparently, these 2 games are now in the "Platinum Collection" as well.

C

13. GlenHaag

I believe that this was mentioned this last week, but Target has some of the "free" games that are included when you purchase a Nintendo Gamecube... with a Mem Card 251 included for free.

$150 for a Gamecube, Metroid, and a 251 is a pretty sweet deal in my opinion.

Glen

14. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Sam's Club has Tony Hawk 4 for Gamecube for 29.86.

15. GlenHaag

I'm thinking I'm going to get Tony for the Xbox or the Ps2 at this point. No clue why... I bought Tony 3 for the Gamecube. [​IMG]

Glen

16. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

The EA online store has Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers for Xbox for $29.99, then enter the code code STREETWISE & you will get $15 off, for a final price of $14.99 plus shipping. That code should also work on most in-stock games over $35...but it seems to work for Two Towers even though it's less than that.

17. GlenHaag

Damn, Two Towers for $15. What a deal!

Ugh. I've got to hold off though. I just can't buy another game at the moment. Ugh.

Glen

18. GlenHaag

The price on Two Towers is back up to $49.99

Glen