What's new

PBS The Women (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Just watched this recent production on PBS....and think that it was wonderful!! I know that the movie is soon to be released...(which i will soon put on preorder)...
MIght anyone guess if this production might see the light of day on DVD as well??
Great performances....sets...and costumes...!!

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Considering that The Man Who Came to Dinner (with Nathan Lane) never made it to home video, my guess is that this latest PBS Stage to Screen production won't be released either. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

Most markets are airing "The Women" again this weekend; you might want to tape it because it could wind up like so many arts specials on PBS - unrepeated, and unreleased.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Actually, the previous Stage to Screen (I think) was "Fosse" and that was released onto DVD post-broadcast.
Although, since this was a Roundabout production (like Man Who..Dinner), I don't know what conditions they may have in terms of Home Video.
Personally, I'd love a copy on DVD. I saw the 2nd performance of this in New York and loved it as well. ;)
Rafael

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Rafael, I'm pretty sure that "Fosse" was in the Dance In America series and not Stage to Screen. In any case, the dvd release was announced before it aired on PBS.

PBS is going to do a live broadcast of the closing performance of "Contact" next, on September 1st. The press release I read didn't say anything about a subsequent release for home video, so I'm not counting on one.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I don't have TV, so don't kill me if I'm wrong, but Fosse was from PBS' Great Performances -- superb anamorphic transfer too.
I'd love to get The Women -- I saw the production in question on Broadway and it is really good.
Ted

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Just checked the Fosse dvd (which I agree is fantastic, Ted! I think Bob Fosse was blazingly brilliant) - it was indeed from the Dance In America series. I think Great Performances is an umbrella title, including things from Dance in America, and Live from Lincoln Center, etc.

I taped but haven't watched The Women yet, but I'd certainly also buy it if it was available on dvd. To be honest, I had mixed feelings about this production when I saw it on stage, but I want to support more theatre being released on video. (I'm still wishing for Showtime's "Death of a Salesman" but I guess that will never happen)

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
By the way...What happened to the DVD of the 1939 film "The Women" ? Wasn't it supposed to be released a couple of weeks ago?

Regards,
Lee

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Lee - it was delayed, but according to dvdempire, the new release date is July 2nd.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Thanks for the clarification on "Fosse" all those series titles confuse me (and I don't have the DVD in front of me to check).
Yeah, while I quite enjoyed "The Women" when I saw it in New York, I'd buy it just to support the release of live performances on DVD. I actually bought the "Putting It Together" DVD for that reason, even though the show's not the best (and, well, I know the guy that directed it- he's actually my boss). ;)
Rafael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks