What's new

PBS Pioneers of Television: Sci-Fi, Westerns, Crime Drama, etc (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If any of you are in the Seattle area MOHAI sponsors a live Christmas themed radio drama every December with a lot of "local celebrities". They have done Miracle on 34th Street, Its A Wonderful Life and a lot of others. Its really fun to watch the entire process including the sound effects.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just saw the final segment this weekend on Local Kids Shows. I was surprised how interesting this segment was. Adam West did a kids show in Hawaii! The very earliest shows were before my time, like Bozo and all the clown type shows, I think I just missed the tail end of that. Though I do remember images of clowns at the time. What was surprising to me the most was Willard Scott. I had heard he was a Bozo, but what I didn't know was that he was involved in creating Ronald McDonald! I do remember him. The segments on Jim Henson and how he got to Seasame Street and how Mr. Rodgers got his start were both very interesting to learn. And how puppets were so big at that period. I do remember the local puppet show in San Francsco with Pat McCormick who later was a weatherman on the local station that is now a Fox affiliate. a Also reminded me of Creature Features host Bob Wilkins who also did a goofy kids afternoon show in the mid 70's at the height of his Creature Feature fame. I guess the show didn't feel Captain Kangaroo was worth mentioning. His show I recall the most and I do remember the local Romper Room. The story of how Romper Room was made into a franchise wa s surprise. I didn't know that. And that Phoenix show that had a major record hit spoofing the Beatles was another surprise. And it was interesting to see Dan Castellaneta talk about how he was influenced by the early clown shows and how he used that for Krusty the Clown! :) These four segments on Sci Fi, Westerns, Crime Drama and Local Kids Shows was an overall interesting addition to the series Pioneers of Television. But as has been discussed, not comprehensive, instead focusing on examples that were considered influential to the respective genres.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I thought of Captain Kangaroo too, and then realized he wasn't LOCAL.

No Mr. Toot, though.[/url]
I guess the show didn't feel Captain Kangaroo was worth mentioning.[/quote]

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
The local thing got me too. I kept thinking where's Howdy Doody and Kukla, Fran and Ollie until remembered the theme was local shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks