What's new

PBS Local Pledge Weeks...UHGHHHH ! (1 Viewer)

MikeAW

Second Unit
If there was ever something that required overhauling it would be Pledge Weeks.

Considering they are asking for money, they do EVERYTHING to annoy viewers...changing the schedules with dry, boring programming, like the Insurance Guy, The Health Guy, and The Feelings Guy. I think the strategy is to annoy you so much with this Junk, you will pay anything to get back to normal schedules !

What do you think ?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Though I dearly love PBS and probably watch it more than any other network, I do agree that these quarterly pledge drives are a disaster. Each drive lasts four weeks, and, as I said, there are four a year--making for a total of sixteen weeks out of the year that PBS panders for dollars. And some of those programs it shows to draw attention--self-help crap about making money and such--are little better than infommercials.

PBS must rethink this mess. (And I contribute, btw.)

MikeAW

Second Unit
I don't know about the auction being worse...at least there is some kind of live action going on...sometimes with, ahem, celebrities !

It's all that lame programming, seemingly hours and hours on end that get to me.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I dont know. The PBS station here in the SF Bay area usually combine the pledge week with ENTIRE SEASONS of shows like Red Dwarf/Ab Fab/The Prisoner. It's a great night for the VCR, even better if you stay up and edit out the pledge breaks. Much nicer if you are a collector and dont want the typical "episode per week" programming.

Since PBS is member supported, write to them. I'm sure they will be much more responsive to you than say a commercial station.

MikeAW

Second Unit
The only good thing about pledge week is The Doo Wop Guy. This year it was Jay Black (from Jay and the Americans)

...among others. Good to see/hear the Music performed...the first time, not replayed the tenth! The Jeff Barry special was a highlight of last year, again the first time.

Locally, they drag out "Fawlty Towers", "Vicar of Dibley", especially "The Vicar of Dibley Christmas Special"...for the second time now...and then it's gone again for another year. Why don't they give us the whole series, I love Dawn French and her assistant...and the other town characters.

Just can't stand The Health Guy and The Feeling Guy anymore...they belongs on "Oprah"!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks