What's new

PBS Announces Massive "America at a Crossroads" series (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I saw that WETA/PBS announced over the weekend they are doing a big series of documentaries that are going to roll out over six nights in April, about the issues facing America/the world after 9/11. The films all seem very different, focusing on a lot issues - the war on terror, the military, diplomacy, the threats of terrorism, religion, cultural and all sorts of things, from varying persepectives (Christian, Muslim, American, Middle Eastern, etc). I'm really curious to see this - I think it's a pretty ambitious undertaking, and it sounds like it's going to be good TV. Anybody else see anything about this series of films?

For those that are interested I saw over at the Huffington Post today that they have a pretty good clip up feauring a showdown between Richard Perle and a woman whose husband bought in Iraq, here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/0...i_n_38763.html

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I'm interested, only because one of the big networks isn't making it.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I find it appealing because it seems to be making a real effort to present as many perspectives and point of views as possible. Which, I think, is important, because that's the only way to get to any sort of workable solutions on so many of these kinds of issues. So, I applaud them for that, definitely. And, dorkily enough, I'm excited to learn something (thanks, PBS!) because I'll freely admit that there's a ton of stuff I just don't know about stuff like Islam and the Middle East, generally.

I wish I lived in New York - they're doing a screening/roundtable kind of event (tomorrow, I think) with Richard Perle, which would be interesting to see. I bet that the film he's a part of - the one focusing on a defense of the Iraq war will be...heated, to say the least.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Bumping to pass along a preview I saw for America at a Crossroads on YouTube; it looks reaaaaaaally good:

Thoughts? I found that to be a surprisingly powerful promo - it's very well put together.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Just a heads up that this starts airing this Sunday, the 15th, and goes through next Friday night. I'm psyched to see what these included films look like, particuarly the one "Security Versus Freedom: The Other War," and "Faith Without Fear" because I've read a lot about Irshad Manji, and am interested in her perspective on her religion.

Official site is here: http://www.pbs.org/weta/crossroads/ - it's got a schedule and descriptions of all the films!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks