What's new

PB2 Ultra up on the site (1 Viewer)

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
The PB2-Ultra is available for preorder on the SVS site. Perhaps more noteworthy is the planned announcement of the PC Ultra...

qualen

Agent
For only $100 more, wouldn't it be worthwhile to go for the B4? Paired with a cheap pro amp and upgrade it if needed in the future? And I'm assuming the B4 w/1kw would stomp an ultra.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
But wouldn't you then need that spare K1 amp and a Parametric EQ to match the Ultra's features? It seems to have it's only niche / marginal pricing.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
As someone who has placed his order for the PB2-Ultra, perhaps I can shed some light on getting it rather than the B4+. The completeness of the feature set, the desire for the ultra drivers, the gorgeous appearance, the size, and, of course, the over-the-top performance for the price are just right for me. The B4+ should certainly outperform the PB2-Ultra (perhaps one of the guys from SVS could chime in with some real numbers between them) but if I'm happy as a clam with my 20-39PC+, I don't exactly run the risk of needing more headroom than the PB2-Ultra will provide.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

The PB2-Ultra will only have about a 1.5 dB maximum output advantage over the PB2-Plus. But often factors other than sheer output figure into the decision making process.

The demographic looking to buy the PB2-Ultra will be as much interested in the furniture grade wood finish, the upgraded amp with PEQ, and the exclusivity and high technology (underhung 10-layer VC) of the famed TV-12 driver as in the fractionally better performance.

If you don't need the 140 dB capability of the B4-Plus, but want to know you have the very best SVS offers in terms of technology, craftsmanship, and sound quality, the PB2-Ultra is just the ticket.

The PB2-Ultra is the box equivalent of the SS cylinder, right at home in the most contemporary and upscale music and HT systems.

I haven't ruled out an upgrade myself - now that Ruger the destructo-puppy is a little older, there just might be a place in my own dedicated HT/music room for a Jet Black PB2-Ultra. Like the New York Lotto, I've got a dollar and a dream - "hey, ya never know". :)

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to hearing user impressions on the PB2-Ultra. I think the one-band parametric eq is a nice touch and should enable most users to eliminate the 40-50 hz peak common in many HTs.

Of course this is speculation on my part but I think the Ultra will garner more than 1.5 dbs of output over the plus. Particularly when tuned to 20 Hz or lower.

Between the additional 100 watts on the amp and the TV-12's more efficient use of power, I would guess that the PB2-Ultra would play the 20 Hz. tune within a db or so of the PB2-Plus when in stock tune.

IMO, the 20 Hz tune is where the bigger difference between the two may lie. I think the longer excursion more efficient woofer in the TV-12 is a better high-output 20 Hz tune solution. This tune requires the driver to play at @ ~ 30 Hz and up with no help from the ports. The more efficient a driver is in this range, the less eq. boost is needed to recover from the absence of the ports. Less eq boost gives you more headroom for LFE.

It will also be interesting to see what approach SVS uses with the subsonic filtering. Will it be like the PB2-Plus or will they let it troll a little deeper before rolling off the low end.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

To be perfectly honest, without the furniture grade mercury red finish (which will go all too well with my current speakers and other furniture) and the ultra driver, I would have been able to use my year end bonus on something else.

-Robb

qualen

Agent

But who wouldn't want more? I have been debating over the B4 and a pair of pb2+s for a while now and I plan to have way more than I need.
Research tells me that in the past SVS has suggested the B4 as the upgrade route from dual cs-plus instead to the cs-ultra. I really have not seen anyone 2nd guess a B4 purchase. As long as you can afford it, who would?
I have till February to decide,house will be finished, so if anyone within 100 miles of the DF/W area plans on upgrading from PB2+'s please PM me. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks