PB2 Ultra in the house!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Steve Morgan, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Well, Tom finally has given me the green light to let the cat out of the bag! Whew!
    I have lived with the Ultra for several weeks almost a month now and I have to say this will be the last sub I will buy. Unless its another PB2 Ultra.
    Tom and Ron were gracious enough to let me Beta test the PB2 Ultra. It is in the same textured finish that the PB2 + comes in. I was informed by Tom that this will be the only one in the black textured version. The others will be wood and come in different flavors.
    It came packed in the same fashion that the PB2+ is packaged, Except it is about 90 pounds heavier! Total weight was 196lbs. It for sure takes 2 strong people to unload and place in your HT room. Like I have said in my first post on the PB2 this baby plumbs the depths of bass[​IMG] When I first fired it up I put a crack in a small window located about 2 feet from the sub and it has extinguished not 1 but 2 3 way light bulbs located almost 15 feet from its location. My listening room is 6500 cubic feet but opens into a Kitchen on one end and a hallway on the other so I would guess in total amount 8500 to 9000 cubic feet. Not a small area and an almost impossible area to get truly reference bass. I spent many hours and a lot of e-mails conferring with Tom about this new design and at the time the rage was the new Tumult driver. Two years ago I purchased a 20-39Cs and ran it with a channel from my Parasound 2205a, couple this with a Servo 15 and I still felt like I was missing something? I kept seeing reviews about feeling the bass and having the bass pressurize the room that you could feel it on your skin. Man, this was the bass I wanted![​IMG] Well, I finally have experienced that type of room pressurizing bass with the PB2 Ultra.
    My listening position is 14 feet from the Sub and I also run a Von Schweikert S/3.Both a corner loaded. I am still trying to get both subs equalized and the phase set correctly but as of now with just the PB2 Ultra playing and The Lexicon MC-8 set on -10db's below reference I have hit 110db's on the RS meter 15 feet away from the sub on the TPM pod race scene. This is with 1 port plugged and tuned at 20hz. I am sure I could get a few more db's at the stock tune of 25hz. The SO is at a Horse show tomorrow so I plan on taking some more readings and running some tones through the sub and I will post a few pictures this weekend.
    I did not want to misrepresent myself with my very first post,(PB2 in Da House) and post pics and numbers seeing how everyone would have thought it was the PB2 plus. Believe me I wanted to! Man, this was a hard secret to keep!
    I can't say enough about Tom and Ron[​IMG] They Da Man. I want to thank both of them and there staff for giving me the opprotunity to Beta test the PB2 Ultra. If there are any question feel free to post or e-mail me and if I can answer them I will.
    Cheers,
    Steve

2. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for letting the cat outta the hat..
    So ultra will come in the same high tech black textured finish after all?
    Is it more powerful than pb2-plus?

3. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Steve,

I bet that was a tough secret to keep! I want that sub. I ordered a PB2+ about 5 1/2 hours before Ron let it out about a PB2-Ultra.

Arthur, Steve wrote:

Also, it has TV-12 drivers in it (vs. Plus drivers). It's definately more powerful.

4. Arthur Vino

Chip, did u change your order?
    [​IMG]
    I will wait for PB2-Ultra pricing and decide then, or if my Plus ships, I will gladly keep it..

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

No, haven't changed anything. I may though, depending on availability & pricing. I don't need a new sub for about 4 weeks as is. Even then, i could do with what i have should i decide to change my order to a PB2-Ultra. I've had an SVS 20-39PC for well over two years now.
    The thing is, had i read Ron's post about the PB2-Ultra before i ordered a PB2+, i most likly wouldn't have ordered anything yet.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I understand your dilemma Chip. I canceled my PB2-PLUS order to take care of some other problems with my HT (speakers). Now with the PB2-Ultra being slated for production it has made that decision much easier to live with. I do have good SVS bass now but my speakers really needed addressing before I spring for another sub.
    >
    I hope the pre-order pricing is as aggressive and attractive as the PB2-Plus. Both timing and pricing will most likely jump around a bit until it's debut?
    >
    Congratulations on your new sub Steve M. Definitely a sub to be proud of along with the opportunity to be selected for Beta testing.

7. Arthur Vino

Steve, u making me a very angry man..
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Arthur,

"So ultra will come in the same high tech black textured finish after all?"

Just to be clear, no. At least not at first. Steve got that because none of our pending wood veneer PB2-Ultra finishes was available yet. In fact it'll still be a couple weeks before I can even show you a picture of one. I'll have the color choices up on the site very soon though.

"Is it more powerful than pb2-plus?

Well powerful in a manner of speaking. The amp the PB2-Ultra is planned to use will be little different from the current PB2-Plus amp (though we are evaluating various feature and tweaks to fully exploit the Ultra woofers). It's already so good we're probably the only ones on the planet that would bother to look to change anything.

It's the Ultra woofers, the selection of 5 natural wood stained colors, and American cabinet grade craftsmanship that will (so we hope) entice folks to step up to the PB2-Ultra. It's not unlike deciding a standard Corvette isn't quite enough for you. Instead, you step up to the Z06 option that looks a bit "badder", has a freer flowing engine that'll propel your ride a few tenths quicker to the next stop light (more than enough to humble cars costing many times more).

So, step up to the PB2-Ultra because it'll pull away from a PB2-Plus in large rooms, with totally "over the top" clean and deep output --- and because it'll look better doing it. This added performance will ONLY be apparent at extreme levels however. So make no mistake, the PB2-Plus is the better "value" in terms of smiting lesser (and more expensive) subs out there. The Plus woofers are very very good. The Ultra woofers are that much better, damn near works of art just to look at them. Some of the reasons why our CS-Ultra packages have been so popular I suppose (though they only had the same looks as all our other cylinders).

The PB1-Plus is essentially a similar concept, even though it's only competing directly with the very popular PC-Plus subs, not any other box subs in our line up. In this case we're talking totally different "form factors" (cylinder versus "box") and much different finishes (black fabric versus stained wood veneer). Again, very clear appearance differences, though similar performance.

We probably would have brought out these wood finished subs a year ago (you know the designs didn't just fall off the table this month) but it took us a while to determine we could do it here in the USA using our current suppliers. At one point we thought you could only do it if you shipped off the work to the Orient. Thankfully (for our Ohio woodworks employees in any case) the right combination of materials, prices and assembly techniques, largely pioneered on the B4-Plus, finally came together. The look will be very familiar to those who have been contemplating a PB1-ISD or PB2-Plus. The finishes will hearken back to the B4-Plus, though we'll limit color choices to ease inventory management and keep costs down.

Hope that bit of background helps some.

Ron

9. Arthur Vino

Thanks Ron, yes it did...

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

This is the exact reason i want the Ultra. I don't need it, i want it.

Back when i got my drivers licence in 1980, my dad had a really cool '72 Chevy Malibu i drove alot. I wanted an SS Chevelle w/ a big block, headers, lots a horsepower, 14 coats of Acrylic laquer paint, and bought one. Didn't need that either [​IMG]

11. Dan_Morez

Dan_Morez Agent

Does the pb2+ and ultra have the same cabinet size?

12. Arthur Vino

Explained by Ron below..
    [​IMG]

13. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

I fully understand Chip. There's an allure to sexy hardware (hell, the so-called "high end" audio world has been surviving by selling $500 crossover upgrades and $10,000 stereo amps for years).

You know SVS is not planning on going THERE, but if we can find attractive ways for folks to scratch that "price no object" itch, (even when price IS an object ;^), well, we'll do what we can as long as it's not muddying our product lines too much.

We've said for a year now that we'd be fleshing out our box sub line and after countless arm wrestling contests on finish, features, pricing and launch dates, the crew at SVS is both proud and humble to bring out yet another set of "American iron" to stimulate savings accounts, summer jobs, and all the other things you remember back when that 70 GTO Judge drove by -- just out of reach.

I know, I had a 70' Pontiac "Tempest" that never quite scratched my muscle car itch (it looked the part, just lacked bucket seats... and oh yeah... the RAM IV engine).

We want to keep these subs just as alluring, as sophisticated as anything on the market, all while keeping them affordable for mere mortals. Keeping SVS production just miles from where some of the world's most famous muscle cars rolled off the line is more than coincidence.

PS Dan. There actually will be a fractional difference in size. It's less for clearance inside (we designed the PB2-Plus cabinet to "allow" Ultra mounting from the start) than to allow for our signature blocked and rounded hardwood corners and edges (as head stylist I simply abhor squared off boxes/corners. The pieces involved are separate from the 11 ply cabinet panels of the enclosure sides). So add an inch or so (less probably) and of course the weight of the Ultra woofers. Suffice it to say this sub is one heavy piece of machinery.

Ron

14. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Ron,
    I love the look of the Black textured sub! It does not show the dust and is very hard to put a scratch on. I have 3 cats and 4 large dogs roaming the house and I think I could throw one of my horses on the PB2 Ultra and it still would not scratch, maybe dent but I doubt that to![​IMG] Even though this is a large sub it is very unobtrusive in the corner.
    Could you explain the difference in the amps that will be in the production model as opposed to my Ultra? If it allows for more tweaks in the Ultra woofers,I would love to purchase the new amp, if its not to hard to DIY. I really don't see what more tweaks you could add. With the ability to tune the PB2 Ultra to 20 and 16hz and the SS filter what's next? I'm sure your bass demented minds will come up with something.
    I have heard the New ML descent and the Aerial sub and would have to say the the PB2 Ultra is heads and shoulders above them at a 1/3 of the price. Next thing you know SVS will have room correction in the sub! Anyway I would rather the Black textured version over the wood. That Nice to, seeing that's what I'm danc'in with. Let me know about the amp.
    Thanks,
    Steve

15. Arthur Vino

It would be nice to have PB2-ultra in high-tech black (aka pb2-plus)

16. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Steve,
    So I assuming everything you wrote about in your "PB2 in Da House" post is in reference to the PB2 Ultra and NOT the PB2 Plus, correct? You never had the PB2 Plus then?
    Thanks,
    James

17. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Art,

We'll consider it but since we'll be offering the PB2-Ultra in a jet black stain right from the start it'll be a hard sell to our board of directors.

We'd like more than just woofer changes as you move up the Powered Box line. In this case it'll be woofer and cabinet finish changes (with some chance of a dedicated amp though that remains to be seen).

But thanks for your suggestion, if you know anything about SVS it's that we listen to customers (even if we're not able to implement all the good ideas we get).

Ron

18. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

How do I become a memeber of SVSs Board of Directors? [​IMG]

19. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Drew,

As with many of life's dilemma...

just send money.

Lots of money.

;^)

Ron

20. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Is there an estimated price for this sub?

I know the output advantage over the PB2 Plus isn't huge but how do distortion levels compare between the two.