PB2 Ultra in Black Coming!!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Rogelio D, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Rogelio D

Rogelio D Agent

2. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Ron and friends,

Along similar lines, any chance of a pb1+ in textured black?

thanks,

Brian

3. Brandon:W

Brandon:W Stunt Coordinator

Heck, as long as we're asking - how about one of the powered cylinder subs in wood? The SS is beautiful, but a bit out of my price range.

Brandon

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>Along similar lines, any chance of a pb1+ in textured black?

thanks,

Brian>Heck, as long as we're asking - how about one of the powered cylinder subs in wood? The SS is beautiful, but a bit out of my price range.

Brandon

5. David Sailor

David Sailor Agent

Tom,

How about a B4-Plus with Ultra woofers, in black?

David

6. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Tom,

How about a B4-Plus with Ultra woofers, in black?

David

7. Rudi B

Rudi B Stunt Coordinator

Exactly 363 days ago (29.8.) I received my PB2+, thinking that this would be my last subwoofer upgrade for a long, long time.

I hate you guys.

8. David Sailor

David Sailor Agent

Rudi,

I got my PB2+ within a day or two of yours and echo the sentiment. My wife is travelling right now, maybe I can make an addition without being caught...

David

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I feel lucky. [​IMG]

I have been trying for a year to justify the weight and size of the PB2+. Wasn't able to, so I started looking at using 2 subs.

But after talking to a lot of people who know a lot more about subs and low frequency interaction with rooms than I do, I'm back to one sub. This one. [​IMG]

Ron and Tom- The fine textured black PB2-Ultra: also 190 lbs?

10. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

hmmm, i just got my PB2+, got about 2 weeks left, should i?

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Damn you SVS!!!!

I mean that in a certain positive way too. Now I need to find out how much I need to give up around the house to get this..I guess I'm getting another puppy..

Do you anticipate beating the Oct 1st ship date?

Also, they weigh the same? I would think they would be cheaper to ship by a little bit due to the weight unless they weigh the same..

Are you guys coming with a wood version of the pb2+? PEQ too?

12. KeithY

KeithY Stunt Coordinator

The black just makes it appear lighter in weight [​IMG]

13. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

I can't think of a reason in the world it would be lighter. It uses the same amp, the same *heavy* drivers, and the core cabinet structure and bracing would have to be the same in order to handle said amp and drivers.

-Robb

14. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Robb's probably right (actually he nearly always is ;^)

I'm not sure we've weighed any of the prototypes yet but if they vary much from the wood finished PB2-Ultra's it's not going to be much.

While they shared the same genes, bringing the finish of the PB2-Plus to the PB2-Ultra design was more work than you might think. Those two cabinets were produced in different places, and while very similar they tended to evolve separately and are constructed very differently.

This will bring the long separated families back together again. These SVS gatherings tend to be pretty wild affairs; what evil little offspring might result is anybody's guess ;^)

Ron

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

So Ron,
    I would assume that on top of the ultra drivers being heavier, there is more internal bracing? That would make sense as far as the 50 lb difference...

16. Tom Vodhanel

>>>hmmm, i just got my PB2+, got about 2 weeks left, should i?

17. David Sailor

David Sailor Agent

Tom,

Thank you for your last reply. I have always second guessed myself on whether getting the ultra would have made a huge difference. I'm not even remotely unhappy with the plus, just wondered. Quite honestly, I'm not sure how much more sub I could handle, I haven't come close to it's limits and still am amazed at the output. I would be better off spending my money on plastic sheeting for the couches for when I demo it to my friends! David

18. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

But isnt it the sound of the Ultras that makes it worth getting???

19. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Has anyone in Canada ordered the PB2 Ultra? How much were the shipping and processing fees?

20. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Ned,

We've sent quite a few PB2's of various flavors north of the border. Get us all your address info ([email protected] or call Sales at (703) 845-1472) and we should be able to get pretty close.

We're NAFTA compliant so there won't be duty, though shipping etc. are still costs you will want to nail.

Allen,

Everyone, and I mean everyone that's gotten an Ultra (sometimes upgrading from SVS Plus products) seems to think so. The Ultra woofers have a clarity and effortlessness to them that make them worth every penny it seems. The fact they have some added headroom helps, but we know there is more at play than just that (but we can't always reveal what that is).

As Tom said, if you are unimpressed with the PB2-Plus (I'm trying to think if this has ever happened? Then again we've only sold a few thousand... so give it time ;^) then probably the PB2-Ultra won't scratch your itch either.

As long as the pre-order price for the PB2-Ultra/Black is only $1,799 the argument for upgrading is hard to deny though. If you had a buyer at a good price for a PB2-Plus the figuring gets even more difficult to ignore.

If you are either a first time buyer, or upgrading, I would say to justify a PB2-Ultra you would need to be in a large room, a detached home (if you are in a townhome or something with a PB2-Plus you are already one movie away from being evicted as it is), and a very discerning and critical listener, one that can take the time to use the PEQ feature of the Ultra too. Oh and one that doesn't have to rob the kids' college fund to make a purchase like this.

Since that probably describes 50% of this forum however, the PB2-Ultra might be a way to go if all that applies.

Everyone says you pay increasingly more for increasingly less real improvement in performance once you hit a certain price point in the audio world. The PB2-Plus v. PB2-Ultra face off is certainly an example of that, but we wouldn't offer any such option for our customer base if we didn't think it perfectly rational for those who can afford the pinnacle of what we can do.

Ron