What's new

PB2-Ultra Arrival with Pics (1 Viewer)

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
Man that looks unbelievably cool Robb! I'm so jealous. I wish I could afford the PB2 Ultra. I guess I'll just have to get along with my PC Ultra which I should have in the next week or 2. ;-)

Edwin

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Nice looking sub Rob! Looks like it's part of the speaker package.:emoji_thumbsup:

Can't wait to hear your impressions once dialed in. IIRC, you normally listen to movies at fairly conservative db levels. It will be interesting to read any commentary you have on any differences you notice at these levels.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Rob,

Between your PB2-Ultra and my PB2+ Chandler should be rocking. If you want to show it off in person let me know I'd love to come by and see it and your welcome to come by and see mine. Enjoy!

Mike

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Are those VRM-90's or 80's? I love those speakers. They look great with the ultra. That should be a good blend.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Moving this to this thread (I don't want J.'s thread hijacked any more than it already is...).

Yes, those are VR-M90s, but I'm not happy with them at the moment. One of them made a buzz at extreme volumes, and I never took care of it because I rarely, if ever, listen at those volumes. Last night, though, it began during moderate volumes, and it appears to be a bad midrange driver... My wife was going to go out with her mother so I could finish fine tuning the system, but the wind's been taken out of my sails. At least until I can get a replacement driver.

-Robb

Joe Blech

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,
I'm in Chandler as well and will be ordering my PB2+ shortly! We should be able to hear each other's systems if we stand outside!
Mike, I have never heard the PB2+ and would love to hear yours if thats cool. Just let me know whenever you're not too busy. Thanks! By the way, that looks really nice Rob!
Nice to see that some other people in this town appreciate this stuff as much as I do.

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, digital photos, scans and monitors running the gamut make for a difficult evaluation of stain colors. This is why we jet out actual finish samples to anyone that requests them. I don't know if this was done in your case.

Of course "God makes trees, one at a time" and staining those trees (well, very small shavings of them ;^) adds still more variables. I would hope that changes in lighting decorating in the area etc might allow the Mercury Red to grow on you. Taking it to our business office in Holland won't help though, they come from our factory in Ohio.

Drop us a line if you decide you want to try another color, shipping on the unit can add up quickly though.

Ron

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Scott,

Welcome to HTF, welcome back to this hobby, and thanks for sharing your impressions! Isn't the quality of that construction and the finish simply awesome?!

BTW, as a computer guy, I'll let you know you've got a great opportunity to get the most of your monitor. Just as we have to tweak our TVs when we first get them, the same must be done with computer monitors (most of us just adjust them until it is easy for us to read). Start adjusting the computer monitor until some high quality digital photos you've taken match what you saw in the camera itself. If you don't have a digital photo to work with, you could match your SVS in person with the stain sample on the SVS site. You could also try to get the shots from my site (though not professional photography quality) to match yours as we both have Mercury Red finishes. BTW, my house does not have much natural light, so take that into account when adjusting your monitor.

Whoops, I didn't mean to get this long-winded, either. By all means tell us all about your theater, your gear, your impressions of gear and material, etc. That's what this place is for!

-Robb

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Zach,

Usually I listen at 17-20 below RF (Avia calibrated) when watching movies (+2 on the sub). This number has grown as I’ve become used to a clean sub.

To the Chandler/Phoenix SVS owners, I’ve talked of getting together at Papago brewing, so let me know if you want me to add you guys to the list when we’re ready to do a weekend lunch.

To all who’ve complimented its appearance, thank SVS. The finish is fantastic. Once my speakers are back in one piece, I’ll post my impressions.

-Robb

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Update: I two-dayed my bad midrange driver to Boston Acoustics, and they two-dayed a new one out the same day they received it (unfortunately, they received it on a Thursday, so I didn't get it until today). I've popped it in, let it run for a half hour or so, and recalibrated. I am finally ready for some serious listening with this thing! I should add how happy I am to know that both companies that make my speakers have shown excellent customer service!

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks