What's new

PB2-ISD or 20-39 PC Plus? (1 Viewer)

Ben Stern

Stunt Coordinator
The room is 2100 cubic feet. Listening habits are 50/50 movies/music. I'm dazed and confused on this one. :frowning: Any feedback is appreciated.:)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
A PB2-ISD will have the edge over a 20-39PC+ when both are set to 20hz mode.

From about 16-25hz it would be close, but the PB2-ISD will edge out the PC+. Over 25hz and the advantage grows to the 3-4dB range.

So if you can live with the larger PB2-ISD enclosure, it represents a better performance value over the PC+.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I agree.

Having had PC+ and not the PB2+ I have noticed things at higher volumes but at lower volumes more so. With the PB setup the bass seems to be more prominent than it was with the PC+.

This problem was my only gripe about the PC+, at lower volumes it seem to disappear.

My recommendation would be PB2-ISD.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Scott-

were the subs calibrated the same? So the box sub had more presence even when it was the same volume relative to your other speakers?

ScottCarr

Second Unit
sheldon

The two subs were calibrated, but the 2 drivers in the PB sub definitely created more presence than the one driver in the PC+.

Having experienced both the 2 in a box is far more the 1 in a tube. Just want to make it clear that the cylinder is an outstanding sub and worth every penny.

The 2 in a box concept creates a powerful box with explosive bass.

Either way you will not be disappointed.

Scott

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
From looking at specs alone, I'm not so sure that a PB2-ISD would have an advantage over the 2039 PC+ w/ the PB2-ISD port plugged to 20 HZ. The PC+ will still have all three ports firing and the ISD would be down to two. Both subs have about the same size amp (600 vs 525) but the ISD will lose a db or two once you drop the tune by plugging a port. It would be close for sure and in your size room it proably wouldn't matter.

The PC+ contains a more potent woofer. Whether this translates into an audible difference within each subs limits is unknown to me.

If the PB2-ISD applies some boost when you lower the sub-sonic filter(I believe TV mentioned the PB2-plus does so in another thread) this can be a nice feature at sane volume levels. It will allow you to troll a little deeper without compromising the port flow as you would not need to plug the port. This would likely give you usable bass into the teens.

My vote would be to get the sub who's shape and size would be easier for you to live with.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
From looking at specs alone, I'm not so sure that a PB2-ISD would have an advantage over the 2039 PC+ w/ the PB2-ISD port plugged to 20 HZ. The PC+ will still have all three ports firing and the ISD would be down to two. Both subs have about the same size amp (600 vs 525) but the ISD will lose a db or two once you drop the tune by plugging a port. It would be close for sure and in your size room it proably wouldn't matter.
Hi Zack:

My post was lifted almost verbatim from Tom V., and I should have so stated initially to avoid conjecture.

I would have agreed with your reasoning and it's rock solid, but Tom has tested the two and says otherwise. Probably the coupling effect of the dual co-located woofers making up the difference.

With all ports open the PB2-ISD will lose out to the PC+ below about 22 Hz. But the advantage of the PB2-ISD over the PC+ above 22 Hz will then become even more significant, probably another 1.5 dB as you state.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks