PB2-ISD coughing

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Andrew:S, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Andrew:S

Andrew:S Extra

I have had my PB2-ISD for around a month now and when I moved it to a new location it started making a quick, loud thump whenever I would change the audio source. (this includes turning on/off cable box, changing channels, on/off DVD player, etc. When I moved it, I did unplug it, but I did not change any other settings. I did notice that on one of the wires going into the sub, the gold spring thing became dislodged, but I don't think that would matter. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I would shoot off an email to Ron or Tom.

Parker

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Andrew:

Did you ever get ahold of the guys at SV Subs?

Parker

4. Andrew:S

Yeah, as it turns out the cable just went bad.

-Andrew

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Andrew,

Each time you changed the input on the receiver, the subwoofer would "thump". And then you changed the cable and everything is okay now? That is interesting. Thanks for the update.

Tom V.
    SVS

6. Andrew:S

The problem is back, I guess the the wire wasnt the problem, any new ideas guys?

7. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

contact tom. [​IMG]

8. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

You describe a "gold spring thing" referring to a wire that had become detached. Is this a strain relief device on a phono plug on the end of your sub feed cable?

Perhaps you stretched your subwoofer feed cable when you moved your subwoofer? Or damaged the cable when you unplugged the phono feed cable?

This may have stretched the cable strain relief device (the gold spring thing) enough to break the earth lead (or braid) in the phono plug. Leaving a poor or dry or intermittant contact?

Do you have two feed cables going into your sub input sockets? Using a 'Y' splitter perhaps? You don't still have one of these cables unplugged do you? From your vague description it sounds like you may have.

If you do have a splitter and two cables going into the sub I should try removing the splitter and doubled cables. Then just try putting the single phono plug into one of the subwoofer feed sockets and not bother with the splitter cables while you test again for thumps.

This is all a very wild guess from your rather vague description in your first post. [​IMG]

I can't think of any other wire that has a "gold spring thing" that goes to a subwoofer. I've seen some phono cables that have an attractive gold plated spring as a strain relief device on the back of the phono plug.

You should always pull the plug out of the socket by gripping the plug itself and twisting slightly as you withdraw it. Not by yanking on the cable. Phono plugs can take a very firm grip on the socket sometimes.

My apologies if you knew all this already. I'm just trying to help you solve your problem at a distance. Not trying to talk down to you. [​IMG]

Good luck
    ChrisBee

9. Rudi B

Rudi B Stunt Coordinator

Andrew, which receiver are you using? I found out that my NAD T762 thumps very loudly on the sub out when changing sources, but only under certain configuration conditions...

10. Andrew:S

I have an NAD T753.

11. Rudi B

Rudi B Stunt Coordinator

Bingo! [​IMG]

Anyways, make sure that the subwoofer calibration level on the receiver is above 0dB. If it is below (ie., -3dB) it will thump *loudly* for some oddball reason. I have it at +5dB, so that I can back it off a few dBs for hot audio mixes.

So, turn down the volume knob on the subwoofer a bit, and add a few dBs on the receiver... Should be fine then.