PB12 Owners-I Thought I Did This Right, But Am Not Sure

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Jul 10, 2002.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

I thought I calibrated my PB12 properly when I set everything up about a month ago, but late this afternoon when I popped in James Taylor Live at The Beacon Theater (excellent DVD, btw) I noticed that I didn't hear the bass guitar like I wanted, so I turned the level up. WOW! Unreal![​IMG] I only had it at ~1/3 up, but ended up @ 3/4.
    I don't really know how to ask this question, but here goes: Do you turn the level up, say 1/3 to 1/2 and then calibrate it from there? Or what? Does that make sense?
    Also, where do I set the Crossover Frequency?
    FYI, I'm running the Onkyo 600, and am using both line level inputs from the sub.
    Thanks!

2. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Hey--
    I *know* this is probably elementary, but I need to know how to do this properly! Anybody?[​IMG]

3. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi WilliamG,
    I've got the PB12 and I started at halfway when I first set it up. Then I used a test disk with a SPL meter and it ended up almost 3/4 up on the back of the sub and -7 on my receiver. For music I calibrated by ear but still havent gotten it to blend right. More of a room issue for me than anything to do with the sub. It doesnt matter if you use a Y splitter or just connect to one of the rcas on the back of the sub. I read on this forum that it will give you a 6db boost. I havent tried this because I still have a lot of volume left after I calibrated. I think the crossover on your receiver is fixed at 80 HZ. There is a LFE toggle switch on the back that totally disables the Subs Crossover. I think they should have worded that a little better.[​IMG] Hope this helps.