PB12+2 or PB12-ISD/2

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Paul Mor, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

I've saving for an SVS to replace my current Velodyne CT-120 and wanted opinions on which to get. Since I am having to save to make the purchase, I could probably get the ISD 6 months sooner than the +12. I know the +12 is better, but is it that much ($300 and 6 months) better? My HT is my living room, so it's 20 X 16 with 9' ceilings opening to a breakfast nook and kitchen. Opinions from those who have heard either or both would be appreciated.

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Paul,

How many cubic feet is your space (including areas for which there are large openings)? Depending on the size of the space, you may not need the extra headroom the plus will provide. As to worth, that's subjective, but I would say it is $300 better, but not worth waiting an extra 6 months for (unless you need the extra headroom).

-Robb

3. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

I have two PB12-Plus/2's in 1800 cubic feet well sealed HT room. They are absolutely awesome, and they should be in my room. I don't know if there is a better bang for the buck, IMO.

As Robb states... the total cubic feet may have an influence on what you decide on. With just your room at 2880, that's probably not too big for the ISD but may not be quite as loud and extend quite as low. Add to that the breakfast nook/kitchen area... and any openings that extend from those areas that cannot be shut off, you could end up with a lot of cubic area to fill.

4. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Did I just flat-out miss the dimensions in the original post?! Man, can I be dumb!

If you like to play at/near reference level, I'd lean toward the Plus.

-Robb

5. Paul Mor

I'm guessing the open area is about 4000 cubic feet. Sorry. Don't know how I missed those two posts before I submitted mine. I was trying to figure in all open areas that can't be filled in when figuring cubic feet. Thanks for the replies. I think I knew people would suggest waiting on the +2, but I kind of hoping for a "The ISD/2 will be plenty to fill that space, don't wait 6 months and save the $300."

6. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Hi Paul, I've got the ISD/2 in a 2880^3 ft. room that opens into the kitchen and vaulted living room, and have plenty of head room to spare. You may LEAN towards the plus, but performance-wise I don't think you NEED it.

I concur with Sonnie, the ISD/2 is the best bang for your buck from SVS. The PB10 might be better, but it has its limitations/considerations also. Anyone know how two 10's would stack up to the ISD/2?

Mike

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My room is more than 4000cf and I had a PB-10. It was very good, but not quite enough for that much space. When I started looking at upgrades, SVS said my best bet was a second PB-10 stacked on top of that one [​IMG] That won't work in my setup, but they said it would be hard to beat performance vs cost without spending more in their lineup.

8. Sonnie Parker

Is that 4000 cubic feet of open area on top of your 2880 or including it?

Two 10's would be a little cheaper than one Plus/2, but the Plus/2 does have a better/bigger amp and two 12's.

9. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

Paul,

how far will you be seated from the sub? If you're going to be in the nearfield, room size may not be as much of an issue.

What aspects of the CT-120 were you unhappy with? Even an ISD/2 is probably going to be the equivalent of 3 or 4 CT-120s.

Drop SVS a line. I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you what the measured performance differences are between the Plus and ISD.

wbs

10. Mitch_T

Mitch_T Auditioning

I have the PB12-ISD single and I have the same layout as you. I think my living room is 20x15, opening into my kitchen of the same size and also has openings on both sides of my tv for hallways and I barely have my sub turned up past halfway.

And I am also a bass-aholic. If I turned it up more, I would just get more rattling and shaking from the house. It has easily exceeded my expectations. I love it.

I was also struggling between 2 of them: the ISD or the ISD/2 and am very happy with my decision. This thing is very powerful and hits the lows very well.

Just my .02

11. Paul Mor

Sonnie: The 4000cf is including the original specs I gave. I added the kitchen and a small walkway.

Brent: I sit about 15 ft. from the sub. Most of my open area is behind my seating area. I'm not at all unhappy with my CT-120, in fact, I think it's great. Based on everything I read though, I think I fall under being one of "those who don't know, don't know they don't know" ...and besides, it's about time for an upgrade (or at least it will be by the time I save up).

Mitch: Your post certainly makes me think I could save the $300 and get the ISD/2. My main fear is thinking, "Should I have waited and gotten the +/2?"

Whatever I buy, I want to hook it up, put in a movie, and wonder how I ever thought the CT-120 sounded good. Do you think either (or both) of these will give me that feeling?

Thanks for the replies. Still don't know what I'm going to buy, but it's fun and helpful reading about others experiences.

12. Sonnie Parker

I think either will rock your world compared to the CT-120, which I've not heard, but I have heard I believe a CHT-150 or maybe it was a CT-150... something like that.

If you like it really loud and play at loud volumes is when you might notice a real difference in the two you are looking at. The Plus/2 is going to be tunable to a lower frequency so you might experience a tad more feel... and it has 300 watts more power backing it.

13. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Paul, we run that risk with EVERY purchase! Either sub will move you to the next level...

The sonic differences between the ISD and Plus drivers really don't show themselves until they are driven hard, and even then you'd have to compare them side by side to tell the difference. Beating the CT-120 can be done with either sub, easily.