What's new

PB10 or PB1 for 2800 cu. ft?? (1 Viewer)

Mark_Faust

Grip
Hey All,

Easy question here...
I listen to movies almost exclusively at around Ref-10 to Ref-15db in a 14x25x8 living room.

Is the PB10 enough to fill this room or would I be taxing it too much?? (I am not sure how to read output levels on the provided graphs)

The WAF is pretty good with the smaller sub, smaller price and cool Tan color, but I will argue to move up to a PB1 if I have to.

thx
Mark

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
While the two subwoofers offer similar levels of distortion limited output, the PB1-ISD (soon to be dubbed the PB12-ISD) has somewhat higher overall dynamic limits simply because it has a 12" woofer. In a 3,000 ft3 room, I'd tend to stay with the 12" drive for -10RL, especially if you are running the sub a little on the hot side. In fact, a 20-39PC+ wouldn't be a bad idea in that size room.....

Mark_Faust

Grip
Edward,

Thx for the input. I am looking at replacing a broken Velodyne FSR12.(wish I could find a schematic for the entire box and I would fix it myself)..I digress...

I am trying to put the term "dynamic limits", into something a little more tangible to understand...

Lets assume the outputs can go up to 75Db with about the same amount of limited distortion. In numbers (%of max output), how hard is the PB1 working versus the PB10??

80% vs 60%??
95% vs 70%??

Just trying to convert the term "dynamic limits" into numbers if possible..(I am a mathematician, so I try and put a number on everything...hehe)Do you understand where I am coming from??

As for the 20-39PC+, the WAF was almost nil when I showed her the picture..(cost of $825 vs $399 or $599 comes into play also)

thx for the help
Mark

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Each subwoofer has a point where it cannot play any louder without compressing. Compression means the sub will no longer respond in a linear fashion to input gains (e.g., a 3 dB input gain is only met with a 1-2 dB increase in volume). This can be caused by limits in the woofer suspension, voice coil (heat), port flow (if the unit is vented), and even the amplifier itself.

The PB1-ISD can simply play a few dB louder overall than the PB10-ISD on bass peaks before compression sets in. In layman's terms it will hit harder and fill a larger room a bit better simply because it has a considerably larger driver.

The difference between the two sub's won't be dramatic, as the PB10-ISD has one HELLA good 10" woofer, but the PB12-ISD will still have an impact and output edge in the common bass regions. If the subwoofer is corner loaded, away from permanent opening, and it is fairly close to the key listening positions (a huge advantage), then the PB10-ISD might just be the ticket (it's doing darn well in my 2000 ft3 HT room thus far).

But my rule of thumb - in rooms approaching 3,000 ft3 where playback is at/near -10RL with possibly the sub running a bit hot - is recommending a 12" driver. You can always try both and return the PB1-ISD if the PB10-ISD meets your output requirements. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark_Faust

Grip
Edward...

Thanks so much for the help....you have answered a lot of my questions.
For 2 more data points....My sub is corner loaded (45 degree is correct I assume) and the diagonal distance to the sweet spot is ~~ 12'

Since SVS gives out there infamous 45 day "trial" period, I guess the best way is to try the PB10 and if it doesn't cut the mustard, then pay the shipping and get the PB1.

thx again for the help..(now to see if I can find an audio repair shop in Nashville.....)

Mark

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
__________________________________________________ ________

..(now to see if I can find an audio repair shop in Nashville.....)
__________________________________________________ ________

Umm...why can't Velodyne fix it for you? :confused:
I would think they should be able to since they are the ones who designed and built it after all.

Good luck on your quest...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Mark^Faust

Agent
I have to pay about $50-$60 to get it shipped to CA... They told me that it would be "probably $185" to fix which included return shipping. Then I have to wait an average of 5 weeks to get it returned(based on what I have read in other forums)

Checking around the net, used ones are only going for about $225.

the only plus to really getting it fixed is that $235 is cheaper than an SVS PB1 or PB10....

hmmmm....what to do...what to do...

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks