PB10-ISD or used PB1-ISD?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brandon:W, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Brandon:W

Brandon:W Stunt Coordinator

I have the possibility of purchasing a used SVS PB1-ISD for about the price of the new PB10-ISD. The PB1-ISD is one year old. The room this will go in is 18x16x10 with one wall open to a kitchen and big open area.

I was thinking seriously about the PB1-ISD until I saw this deal. What would be the better purchase?

PB10-ISD:
    Brand new
    More WAF (white, a bit smaller)
    Nice flat freq curve

PB1-ISD:
    ~10dB higher output at

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The PB1-ISD (soon to be redubbed the PB12-ISD) will still outperform the PB10-ISD. If you can get it for the same price, and it's in great shape, then I would advise that purely from a performance perspective.

It really depends on how much sway the WAF holds. If smaller, lighter, and white are strong acceptance criteria, then the vote might swing back the other way.

I'm not sure where you got the 10 dB difference

3. Brandon:W

Brandon:W Stunt Coordinator

Hey Edward,

I was referring to the SPL vs Freq curves for the two subs.
    For example:
    15Hz: PB10-ISD: 80dB PB1-ISD: 85dB
    10Hz: PB10-ISD: 60dB PB1-ISD: 40-50dB

But I think you're right. It just depends on how much the WAF plays in. Maybe a discussion about this with my wife is in order.

Brandon

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The slightly steeper roll-off below 20 Hz exhibited by the PB10-ISD is likely a function of how steep the infrasonic (high pass) filter is. Neither sub is tuned for a strong response in the 15 Hz (or deeper) region. They both show damn near identical extension to 20 Hz, and then start trailing off.

Remember, this is outside ground plane with no room gain. In a typical mid-size room, both subs will have decent extension/output down to about 17-18 Hz.

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

But I think you're right. It just depends on how much the WAF plays in. Maybe a discussion about this with my wife is in order.
    __________________________________________________ ______

Sure cant hurt, but it's good to know what you want prior to you discussion[​IMG]

Considering your room size, if it were my decision to make? I would go with the 12-ISD WAF not included in my thinking.

I think Ed would most likely agree on this but admittedly he has not done his review on the PB10-ISD as of yet.

Expectations by SVS standards consider the 10-ISD their entry level option. Their entry level option might be considered as a start by SVS standards but way ahead of the game by others standards. If you have a good placement option close to seating then I would say go with what ever the WAF decree's. If not? I would go with the 12-ISD respectfully and try to put up a good fight in regards. WAF can be a tuff battle and my understanding is included in my advice[​IMG]

Pick your battles if need be when it comes to bass[​IMG]
    Good bass is a very good thing.

6. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Brandon,

If you can swing the PB1-ISD, then I encourage you to do so. I can't speak to the PB10, but the PB1-ISD was is one heck of a sub. I still marvel at its performance every time I use it. It gives me everything I need for music and HT, and I seriously don't ever feel the need for more bass. I just watched The Haunting this past weekend, and the PB1-ISD handled all of the DEEP bass scenes handily.

As good as I bet the PB10 will be, I am sure it will lose something to its big brother. Good luck.