What's new

PB10-ISD is Shipping!! (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just got a call from UPS also telling me they wanted to deliver it, but the guy can't (or won't) carry it up the stairs by himself, lol. I live on the third floor, and I told him "Yeah, I sort of expected that." I get to pick it up on my way home. Woohoo.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Congrats guys! Looks like there's 3 of you chomping at the bit, waiting to fire up the PB10-ISD. I'm exited for ya and look forward to your impressions. Lets see Paul has the big/huge room. Mike is coming from a JBL E250P. John is comeing from the VTF-2 so this Should be interesting indeed.

I'm still running mine and really enjoying it. With the placement I was able to come up with, it has afforded me plenty of options along with my other SVS.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,
It's been awhile since I've had a chance to keep up with this thread. Nice numbers you posted from the PB10. Thanks.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hey Eric,

Remember those were the PB10-ISD's numbers not mine. They do give you a very good idea of extension and what to expect. Generally speaking, most will realise even better as good as they are.

Did your fathers PB10-ISD land yet? I know he runs the KLH but you might have overly exposed/spoiled him with your dual Ultra's.:)

MikeCocc

Agent
David said,

Mike, did you find the SVS to be much of an improvement over your JBL E250P? I can't decide whether to get the JBL now or save up a little more money and buy the SVS.

Save your money and get the PB10, you will not be disappointed. The E250P doesn't even come close. Even if you could get the JBL for $200 delivered you should still get the SVS.

I still haven't calibrated the sub yet but I sat down and watched several scenes from Black Hawk Down ( including Irene ) and almost every good scene in LOTR: The Two Towers.

The Helos shook my room. I could feel the Ents walking in the forest. The wall exploding at Helm's Deep was shocking.

It's all good stuff. I am very happy with my purchase.

Does anybody want to buy a slightly used E250P? ;)

Quick Question: I'm having trouble getting my sub calibrated. The internal sub test tone on my Kenwood 6050 doesn't even come close to the SPL of the other speaker tones. Anybody got any ideas why? I have the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-up DVD but my receiver will not play the test tones on the DVD for any of the speakers. Is the Avia DVD better? Will my receiver play the test tones from it? I did a search on this forum on the receiver and really didn't come up with anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Edited: Corrected the name of the set-up DVD that I currently have.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Steve,
No, it has not arrived yet. I ordered it October 31 so I don't expect it for awhile. He has not heard my setup with the dual Ultras. I had one at the time he heard it. I'm sure he'd really think I am nuts with two.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like you have problems with the DVD/AVR interface.

1) The player is connected using a digital coax cable.

2) The player is set to bitstream.

3) Midnight mode and dynamic range compression circuits are off in the player.

4) The AVR is looking for a digital signal at the chosen coax input.

5) The AVR is set to auto decode for DD and DTS for that coax input.

6)Midnight mode, dynamic range compression circuits, and bass limiters are off in the AVR.

7) The LFE (.1) channel level (not to be confused with the subwoofer level) is set to maximum (unattenuated) in the AVR.

8) All speakers are set to small, 80 Hz xo, sub on/yes, sub remix off/no.

9) The AVR is showing Dolby Digital or DTS on the display when playing DVDs and you are getting 5.1 or 6.1 output.

Paul`S

Auditioning
Got my PB10-ISD up and running last night - I agree with John it is big -- even knowing the measurements in advance its size surprises me.

I used Yamaha's YPAO to set it up automatically with it sitting in the open in my room to the right of my front right speaker so positioning was definitely not optimal. The YPAO setup process set my spkr/sub crossover at the max of 200HZ.

I watched/listened to the "Star Wars Ep 1" race scenes on DVD and then watched a AC3 version of "Master and Commander" from DirecTivo all the way thru. To finish off I loaded up "Das Boot" (DVD) and used the scenes suggested in the Install Booklet to test out a bit more of the range during depth charges (the booklet said 20HZ). I also listened to some classical chamber music on the DirecTV classical channels and some jazz and alternative music.

After having no-subwoofer in my system and using speakers which don't have good bass extension and then going to the PB10-ISD was a significant change -- everything sounded fuller and more natural. Center Channel voice improved dramatically and all sound effects were greatly enhanced but not the way I would expect to feel things in my chest. The classical selections on the other hand had the feeling of being in a real recital -- especially showing up on viola and bass solos.

My room is well over 800 sq ft of floor space with vaulted ceilings and several extra wide openings to more large spaces so I know I will have to do some experimenting to get an optimal placement to boost that feeling I should have been able to get with depth charges. Unfortunately it won't be til Thanksgiving weeekend before I can really spend some time to try really calibrating this thing to my room.

Congrats to the new owners, I'll report back after Thanksgiving

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
With me figuring your ceiling in at 10' Paul, your coming in at 7500^. Now that is one big room and I bet I'm on the conservative side;) This isn't counting your added openings either. WOOO! You definitely need to corner load that puppy and if/ Nope! Thats right, you cant corner load. Well I hope you can come up with a earlier suggested option then? Your a man who definitely needs boundaries ;) Have a great Thanksgiving Paul and looking forward to your final placement performance impression.

Systematically go through all Ed's suggestions Mike and you'll get to the bottom of it. I hade that happen once to me and I forget what it was, back when I had my Kenwood receiver.

Hi Eric,
Whoops! False alarm. Well your sitting good, so the wait shouldn't be to hard.

>>>I had one at the time he heard it. I'm sure he'd really think I am nuts with two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks