PB10-ISD Calibration worrys

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MichaelBro, Dec 13, 2004.

1. MichaelBro

MichaelBro Auditioning

Dec 13, 2004
    I calibrated my new PB10-ISD this weekend and noted that several of the test tone freq's from snapbug (16Hz, 45hz, 50hz, etc.) cause the sub to rattle horribly as though the VC or magnet is making physical contact with the subs innards.

H/K AVR525 settings -> Speaker Levels -> Subwoofer -> -5db
    PB10-ISD settings -> Gain -> 25-30%, Phase -> 180deg

System previous calibrated to 75db with H/K AVR525 internal test tones and 85db with AVIA DVD which is -3db on the AVR525's dial.

Whenever I would hit one of these offending freq. I would immediately mute the system because I don't want to damage my sub. The SPL readings range from 76db to 103db depending on the tone. The sub seems to sound ok with movies and music but it doesn't seem right that some of these frequencies like 45hz which is right in the middle of its operating range (18hz - 100hz) would cause this kind of behaviour.

2. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Mar 11, 2004
    Email SVS, they will help you out. I just got mine, mine played the test tone frequencies down to 16hz fine. The only noise I had was from my TV not handling the vibration!
  3. David Mueller

Oct 9, 2004
    At which level have you been running your PB10 than your TV could'nt handle the vibs???

I'll get mine tomorrow,and I hope it has no port noises[​IMG]

Does it play loud ?

Have you watched at the extension of the Driver while running through your test tones?

David [​IMG]
  4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Sep 4, 1998

Email SVs and we'll get this figured out for you asap!

Also, everyone should be aware that test tones should only be used at low levels...for determining frequency response and things like that. Please, don't put a sinewave into your subwoofer and max it out just to see how loud it can get. This is very abusive and will often damage the subwoofer. (not saying that is what happened here at all, just a reminder to anyone following along).

Tom V.