adamAndries

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam Andries
Building a budget 2.1 system with the following components:

Epos ELS-3
Cambridge Audio Azure 540a v2.0
SVS PB10

Here's my concern; there is no active crossover in the PB10, which means I would have to go with an external unit? Or would I be okay with running the PB10 straight up? Also the 540 doesn't have a crossover built in; so I think I'm stuck ...

What I could do though, is go for the Hsu STF-2 which has the built in active crossover and the speaker pass-through ...

What do you guys think? What should I do? Any similar experiences? I heard the PB10 is a step above the STF-2, so that's why I'd like to make it work with this setup.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
25-31PCi should solve the problem as AlanZ said, and it will take up less floor space.

You won't be able to run the PB-10 direct as it also only has a single preamp input and the 540 has stereo out. Few if any intergrated amps have crossovers.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
John: Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if you had plans to take the plunge into HD-DVD or Blu-ray? Or maybe you have already? I clicked on your DVD list....that's a kick ass collection!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Don't know your budget, but this Outlaw Audio stereo receiver includes an adjustable bass management system for its subwoofer output (the only receiver I've ever seen that includes such a feature): Outlaw RR2150

Denon and Yamaha also sell stereo receivers with sub outputs, but AFAIK they aren't bass managed i.e. the sub itself needs its own crossover. Check them out here (scroll down).

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

That's a great idea Lance! Even if the OP can't make that idea work, I'm going to keep that in the back of my head for future reference. I know that Anthem came out with a stereo preamp that has a couple subwoofer outputs, and that's usually my recommendation for a 2-channel system with bass management, but your idea is even better. As big of a fan of Outlaw as I am, I can't believe I didn't know more about that product....nice call!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Yea Alan, I think Outlaw inlcuded a really neat feature that other manufacturers ought to include on their stereo receivers. There's sort of a resurgence in stereo/music-only systems & this would be a welcome feature in many of those systems.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Alan, No BD or HD-DVD for me yet :) Normally an early adopter, I am waiting on this one.

I was going to recommend the RR2150 also, but due to them being sold out frequently (obviously due to high demand), I didn't. Then there is the budget factor, as the 540 isn't in the price range of the RR2150. Figured someone would though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks