PB1-Plus and PB2-Ultra

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by BradD, Dec 11, 2003.

1. BradD

BradD Stunt Coordinator

What will the dimensions be for these subs?

2. terence

terence Supporting Actor

The PB1+ is the same as the PB1-ISD & the PB2 Ultra is the same as the PB2+ & PB2-ISD.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The PB2-Ultra will probably be a smidge larger than its black textured counterpart the PB2-Plus, due to the outer wooden layers adding some thickness.

If you are measuring and clearance looks tight, I'd add an inch to the current dimensions just to be safe. Hopefully Ron/Tom will post up exact dimensions on the website.

Edit:

The PB1-Plus (as stated below) is a different animal entirely, and almost as large as the PB2-Ultra!

4. BradD

BradD Stunt Coordinator

Yea, I read how the two new subs where based on previous designs. However, with a different series driver in the new design, I assumed the enclosures would have to change.

5. Kinson_Y

Kinson_Y Auditioning

Hi Brad,

I think you're right. If you look at the picture of the prototype PB1-Plus featured on SVS's website and compares it to the one for the PB1-ISD, you can see that the former is noticably taller in shape to accomodate the triple 3" ports.

My guesstimate is that the PB1-Plus is going to be about the width and height of a PB2 but shorter in depth.

6. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Actually, our much-in-need-of-an-update News page here

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/news.htm

provides some pretty good clues (numbers actually) if you read down far enough.

Certainly there will be some fractional differences from original projections but suffice it to say the PB1-Plus is not the same enclosure as the PB1-ISD. Not even close actually. And while it's based on the wildly popular PB2-Plus, the PB2-Ultra cabinet is a clean sheet of paper effort too (with dimensions VERY close to it's brother sub however. Weight will be much higher for the PB2-Ultra as you might expect though).

Just in the way of a sneak(y) update, since ya'll asked:

The amps for the PB1-Plus and PB2-Ultra are in production in Toronto Canada as we speak. We've just nailed the production details of the enclosures, and pre-orders will start in a week or 10 days as we crunch the final numbers and we get our prices sorted out.

The reason for the delays to date are many, but the primary challenge was trying to come up with cabinets which met our stringent performance testing, but were still affordable and looked good. After several efforts to economize we really just gave up. Instead what you'll get is essentially the same sort of high end finish and veneers as on the B4-Plus. Shipping this project to China was considered but rejected. Our ties to local vendors are just too deep.

That means 1" walls, CND'd bracing, and very high end hard clear maple exterior with solid machined maple edges. Suffice it to say they won't be cheap. Given a few little bits we've not yet released it's probable they'll still come close to original price projections though. There will be some blood on the table at our upcoming board meeting on that one probably ;^)

It's all for a good cause hopefully (and keeping a rock bottom price is a given). Other than the fact I'm probably off the Christmas basket list for our cabinet shop for the pressure they got on cost, I fully expect the first PB1-Plus and PB2-Ultras to ship our late January or very first part of FEB.

Finally right around the corner, really, we mean it this time.

Honest. ;^)

The News page will have more in a week or so.

Ron

7. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Oh hell, I'll save you the time ;^)

The latest from R/D:

PB1-Plus: 25d”x19h”x24h”
    PB-2Ultra: 29dx19wx24h”

Weights will have to follow, we're still waiting on the final, no kidding, pre-production cabinets for fit/weight and shipping box design.

Ron

8. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Oh well, it's not the first time i was wrong and i'm sure it won't be the last. :b

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Don't be to hard on yourself terence. Who can keep up with all the new options anyway. One sub at a time.

I think it's going to be very interesting when the smaller enclosure SVS model/models come out also. There seems to be allot of talk about smallish subs lately for some reason?? When they do make their debut, there will be a major change in the landscape.

10. Kinson_Y

Kinson_Y Auditioning

Ron,

You posted above that the current working dimensions for the PB1-Plus is: 25”D x 19”W x 24”H

The SVS website says the PB2-Plus' dimensions are 28"D x 18"W x 25" H

Unless one of the specs is wrong , doesn't this mean that , in practical terms, the PB2-Plus is only really larger that the PB1-Plus in the depth dimension - and then only by about three inches? If so, then WOW, that's a honking big sized enclosure for a single 12" driver! Kewl! [​IMG]

OTOH, doesn't this fairly small size difference and the relatively close cost between the two models make for a significant disincentive marketing-wise for the PB1-Plus?:

To me it looks like someone who's going to spend ~$1200 on a SVS box sub has to choose between the PB2-Plus' significantly(?) better performance (thanks to 400 watts of additional power and a second dB-12 driver) OR get the slightly cheaper/smaller PB1-Plus with a nicer wood veneered enclosure. For such a small "penalty" I think the PB2-Plus becomes a No Brainer.

FWIW, I'm looking to get a PB1-Plus because I just can't stand the industrial pebble grain finish of the PB2's. I realize by saying this that I'm undermining my own assertion of the PB1-Plus not being "worth it" compared to the PB2-Plus. But I'd argue that its a pretty reasonable guess that I'm in the very small minority in my choice; most customers would simply buy the PB2-Plus because its performance advantage comes at such a small nominal difference in price and size; making it a proverbial No-Brainer. And this doesn't even address the significantly cheaper PB2-ISD model!

11. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Don't sell yourself or your sense of taste short. [​IMG]

There are many enthusiasts who simply don't need the performance of the PB2-Plus, but crave the aesthetic advantage and still extremely potent performance of the PB1-Plus.

Unless you listen at/near Reference Level in a larger room, a single Plus subwoofer might be all you'll ever need in terms of sheer output. And the PB1-Plus is just gorgeous. I'm glad SVS is addressing the demographic of customers who place a premium on wood finish and matching stains.

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

There are many enthusiasts who simply don't need the performance of the PB2-Plus.
    __________________________________________________ ____

Could not agree with you more Ed. For the past three days I have been playing around with just one of my 25-31CS+'s at a -15 listening level with two ports blocked (carefully). It still amazes me what one db 12" driver will do in my 2880 leaky cubic foot HT. The PB1-Plus in it's stock tune or with one port blocked will be plenty of horsepower for many.

I understand where your coming from Kinson and the logic is there. You put a higher premium on esthetics and I wish I could afford/WAF to do so myself. The performance will be there though. Your going to have a sub that you definitely can be proud of in all aspects. [​IMG]

13. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

The appreciation of the finish can go a long way. I love my 20-39PC+. The way it disappears, especially with the lights low, into the corner. The resistance the material has to dust. The way it shakes my whole house when called for or just plays smooth bass with music. But I really like the look of the Mercury Red finish. If I had it my way, I'd get the SSs (out of my budget, unfortunately). The 20-39PC+ is all the sub I need, but I'm getting that Mercury Red finish. If I'm going to spend money, though, I need a significant sonic improvement (or at least the potential for one). So I'm going the opposite direction: a PB2-Ultra. We're talking a modest improvement over the PB2+ for quite a few more dollars, but the finish makes it worth it to me.

-Robb