What's new

PB1-ISD or 20-39 PCi (1 Viewer)

daibachin

Auditioning
Hello.. I have been doing research on sub and I found many good feedbacks on SV sub. I found these two subs in their lines are in my budget, but I dunno which one is better.. could anyone tell me what's the pro n' cons for the traditional shape and the cylinder shape?
thank you ;)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There is pretty good info on the SVS site regarding this question.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I personally like the look of the cylinders, having the 20-39PC+, though I'm getting the PB2+ for more output. The cylinder sub is more efficient design,uses a smaller footprint but is taller and is lighter. They'll perform almost exactly the same. The box is shorter obviously and you may be able to gain an extra db or two if you could aim it's port in a corner and use the walls to reinforce the bass. It's really up to asthetics IMO. E-mail SVS and give em your room dimensions and usage, and they'll tell you what would be best for you.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
You would be hard pressed to hear more than subtle differences between these four subs:

25-31 PCi (25 Hz tune)
PB1-ISD (22 Hz tune)
"22-31" PCi (a 25-31 PCi with a factory 22 Hz tune)
20-39 PCi (20 Hz tune)

They all employ the same driver, vent size, and amplifier.

The PB1-ISD and the "22-31" PCi will sound the most similar, since they have the same tune point.

The 20-39 PCi will troll the lowest, but it probably won't be obvious on most program material. And the 25-31 PCi will play the loudest by a small margin (maybe 1.0-1.5 dB) due to its slightly higher tune point.

The cylinders are a bit less expensive to manufacture, so they offer a slightly higher performance/$$ ratio. And they have a smaller footprint. The box is more traditional, and a box design is important to many prospective buyers.

Since they will all offer very similar performance, I think aesthetics and personal preferences will probably influence your final decision the most.

Regards,

Ed

daibachin

Auditioning
I see... thanks for the replies.. it does help me clear up most of my concerns.. I am also doing research on the sv sub.. one draw back is I couldn't find a place to experience it in person.. so I reallie hope someone here could shred me some light on this issue =)

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Well you do get a 45-day period to return it if it doesn't meet your standards and you'll be out the shipping costs. I challenge you to find one person who returned theirs for a refund after hearing it! I think all their B-stock is from people upgrading, look for my 20-39PC+ in two weeks, which is awesome, soon after I get my PB2+. I guess I was a closet bass freak and didn't know it till I got a real sub. :D

daibachin

Auditioning
Thanks everyone
I've just checked the audioenvy.. but no one near to me has this I guess.. oh well.. I think I would still go for it since everyone said it's good and I got 45 dayz to return if I dun like it..

do they have x'mas discount on their sub.. anyone knows? or any groupbuy coming up?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
SVS doesn't do too many "sales" becuase they have geat pricing as it is and the demand is definately higher than supply. The shipping deal on the PB2-ISD for $50 flat is about the only "incentive" at the moment. Considering it costs $100 for the 5lb. heavier PB2+, and I hear it's close to a 150lb. package shipped, shows that's a pretty good deal.

saprav

Auditioning
Discounts for Xmas? You're kidding - these subwoofers are so popular - you'll be lucky if you get yours before then!

I can barely wait to get mine!

VSapra

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Daibachin,

The guys are right. We've introduced one improvement after another but have managed to keep the same prices for the most part. We've seen the "sale... no sale... sale... no sale" cycle elsewhere and frankly chucked the entire game by resolving to simply produce the best sub possible at a given price and fight like hell to keep it there. Always.

I know it runs counter to much of the industry, but then that's another thing SVS is known for ;^)

The problem of supply is one we're working hard at too. We expanded our old facility several times, but it was never enough to keep up. Just today we closed on a refurbished factory just a few miles from our current location. Liberty Ohio, just outside of Youngstown. Bringing back a bit of industry to a depressed part of the country it would seem.

With something like 30,000ft2 of assembly area, loading docks (yahoo! Or... maybe we need to get out more?), demo rooms, labs, conference rooms and offices I think it's safe to say you'll be seeing us catch up to demand finally. Of course with all the new products lined up for 04' maybe I'm just being the eternal optimist.

Can factory tours and SVS sponsored events be far off? Only time will tell. A weekend off might be nice for the staff too I guess ;^) Not likely for the next few months probably.

Ron

JackLonn

Agent
It took about 3 1/2 weeks to get my PB2+ and it was worth the wait! Absolutly awsome! After I'd upgraded my system to seperates I was having second thoughts about a new Sub 'cause my 6 year old Klipsch SW12 was suddenly sounding pretty good. Then I got my PB2+. Wow! No comparison. My wife, who's the one that wanted to "feel the bass" just told me this morning that she COULD feel the bass; last night while she was in bed! Go SVS. You won't regret it. Not only are the peaks bolder, but I can't believe how much mid-bass I'd been missing. I did a demo of Das Boot and, well, it was amazing. I felt like I was there. Not just the explosions, but the groans and creaks. The presence. Just do it. BTW- My room is about 3,700 ft^3 w/ an opening into the foyer.

daibachin

Auditioning
omg..... reading all these posts about svs just make me want the sub more...
I am going to check if there's any B stock or used one for sale first... if not.. then I'll probably get one from svs... then will have mcdonald for dinner everynite I guess ... =)

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Daibachin,

B-Stocks are very rare as you might already know and they are they tend to go in hours, if not minutes. Because our standards for a b-stock are so high, we don't discount them much. We've had subs that were returned unopened (one guy lost his job the day it showed, talk about torn emotions). Even in that case we b-stock the item. It's the principle of the thing. If it WAS opened, the sub goes thru all the same testing as a new unit and of course is warranted as new.

Still while you might get lucky, suffice it to say we work every day to make sure every model is a screaming deal even at full price.

Ron

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I believe there is an SVS sub currently on eBay. 20-39 PCi I think.

And I feel I should also do the broken (but totally justified) record thing and say you will not be disappointed with the product and even more impressed with the company's willingness to bend over backwards to make the customer happy.

Congratulations on the expansion! I love hearing about growth of businesses that deserve it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks