What's new

Paypal Question (1 Viewer)

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
When you buy something using paypal, do you have fraud protection. What I mean is if I buy something from an individual and they do not deliver the goods bargained for, can I dispute the charge with my credit card company?

Thanks for the information.

-Gerry

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
You can try to dispute the charge with your credit card company.

But your transaction is with paypal.

They met their end of the deal to forward your payment.

Paypal does offer sellers a 100% satisfaction guarantee program.

It first must be offered by the seller, then you as a buyer would have an option screen available at the time of payment being sent, This will cost you an additional fee.

There are limits also on this program.

I think if you use the search function here or at AVS

you will find loads of helpful info.

There was a thread here just a few weeks ago.

I for one have used paypal for over three years 190+ transaction without a problem.

Jerry

Stan Rich

Stunt Coordinator
PayPal offers very little in the way of fraud protection.Once the deal is consumated and they get their cut your pretty much on your own.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I wouldn't say you are completely on your own.

Paypal got my $350 back for me when a guy took my money and never shipped the product. It took a while...I think 90 days or so...but they did get it back.

I haven't used Paypal in quite a while, but they used to certify your account by having you link a bank account to it. If they still cerify or verify accounts this way, then you should be more than safe.

Neal

Jason Monette

Second Unit
As did I, it was on a $500 transaction. As long as you dispute withing 30 days or something. They got all but $30 back, I think they took it as some kind of fee. That was the ONLY bad experience I have had so far from buying things off the web.

If you stick to forums like this, or other respectable places out there, you are pretty safe. Well at least in my experience.

I bought my receiver, speakers, dvd player, a ton of dvds and laser discs of the web from people, not companies, people, and the only time I would say that I had a negitive experience is when the dude didn't ship the interior for my car. Like I said, got all but $30 back. It is pretty safe over all, IMHO.

Jason

Adrian_S

Second Unit
Nope you're on your own most of the time, paypal tried to screw me once out of a $400 dollar deal, the seller didn't ship and they couldn't get the funds back, so they told me sorry, too bad! So I waited a total of 58 days, and then I did a charge-back to get my money back since I had paid with CC.

Stan Rich

Stunt Coordinator
If you read the fine print you will note thay take no responsibility...you take it up with the other party.Granted they may make a feeble effort but as I said "your pretty much on your own"

The horror stories abound!!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Rather than start a new thread I'll post my question on this old one - I would appreciate any help (I'm relatively new to Paypal). Someone sent me a refund for an order they couldn't fulfill. The funds were sent to my Paypal account. How can I withdraw that money? Or better yet, can I have it transferred to my checking account without having to jump through hoops or wait a long time? Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Takes roughly 4 days.
It says so when you click...
"Withdraw Funds"
And, if you are "that new" to Paypal...
NEVER, and I mean NEVER click on Paypal in an email link. It is a common scam that you buy stuff on Fleabay(and other places that 3rd party sell and accept it) for the item to "come up not available"...
They'll then send you a link with something like...
"Here is your refund, click link to accept it."
Do that(instead of log onto Paypal itself) and you run the risk of your bank acct being emptied.
My advice, create an acct JUST FOR Paypal, so if it ever gets rooted...you lose the money sitting there(I never keep more than $400 in my bank acct linked to PP)...not everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks