PayPal query

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Rob Gillespie, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Is it possible to automatically refuse credit-card payments on a PayPal personal account?

I have no intention of upgrading the account but people keep on sending credit-card sourced payments despite the big NO CREDIT CARD wording on my auctions and acceptance emails.

It all seems geared towards coercing you into going for the upgraded account which is absoluely not what I want to do. The fees are too high to make it worthwhile and people can get pissy when they're expected to pay all the fees on an auction.

If it can't be done I'll have to think about closing the Paypal account altogether. I can't say I'm impressed with it at all.

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

It's automatically refused since they need you're verifictation that a payment was made through a credit card and you need to upgrade your account. If you accepted a credit card payment before, then there's no way around it and you'll just keep eating up the 3%.

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

That's not quite true. If you've upgraded your account previously by accepting a credit card payment, PayPal does alow you to 'downgrade' your account. I think there are limitations on this (like the number of times you can downgrade) but it is possible.

4. James T

James T Screenwriter

I just did a search on Paypal and came up with this.

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

As they should, as buyer fees are against PAYPAL, Ebay and credit card rules. Do what everyone else does - hide the fees in the shipping charge!

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

This is a new PayPal account, it hasn't been upgraded, downgraded or anythinggraded.

I pay fees to sell the item. People have half a dozen different ways of paying me, most of which incurr no charges at all (except perhaps a stamp to mail a cheque). There's no way on earth I am paying for the privilige of THEM using a credit card.

7. James T

James T Screenwriter

I should clear up what I said a bit. Credit card payments are not automatically refused, but they are in liimbo waiting your authorization. A CC payment cannot be accepted unless you upgrade your account and then from that point, you'll eat up the fees. You'll get an e-mail saying something like "You got cash" and you need to follow the link to accept the CC. That's just for the first time.

Maybe you signed up for the Premiere account without even knowing about it.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Right, gotcha. That's basically what is happening, James. I get notification of a payment, go into check it out and there's a fee mentioned on the details page. I then have the option of accepting (which requires upgrading) or refusing (which still nags you about upgrading).

What I want is for the CC payment to not even get sent. I think it's piss-poor that they provide no way of doing this. Al it would take is a message to the sender that CC payments cannot be used to that recipient. How difficult is that? They basically try to wear you down into upgrading the account along with all the extra fees it incurrs - no thanks!

9. alan halvorson

It ought to be no problem for PAYPAL to inform the buyer that the seller does not accept credit cards and that you need never know that he tried to make such a payment. However, that is only one point of view. PAYPAL is trying to expand the use of their service and informing sellers of such potential payments is one way of doing it. They are a business, you know, and are not providing the service just because they're nice guys. It's not any hassle to reject credit card backed payments - or I guess I wouldn't be to me.

As far as PAYPAL fees go - I have opinions that you don't want to hear and so I'll shut up about them even though I'm dying to expand on them. I'll just venture this: in the long run, sellers receive higher bids if they accept credit card payments, more than enough to to offset PAYPAL fees. I can't back this statement up. It's just my observation of over three years of selling and buying over 1000 items on Ebay. I will point out that I've passed on many an auction, or entered a lower bid than I might have, when the seller wouldn't accept either PAYPAL at all or PAYPAL fees. I just move on.

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

That may be so Alan, but I'm not trying to make a business out of this, I'm just clearing out a stack of stuff before I move. The resale value of DVDs on eBay is now so poor that any cut in the money I receive is just not acceptable. We're talking about losing 50p on a £5 transaction. 50p isn't much, but as a fee simply to make it 'easier' for someone to pay a £5 price it's - frankly, taking the piss.

I know credit card transactions are not free to anyone, but it just gets to the point where it's not worth the effort. If accepting CCs via PayPal were to yield higher final values then I'd be more interested, but I'm seeing no evidence of this on my own auctions (but your mileage may vary).

We have a system in the UK called NoChex which works like this:

Open an account, requiring a bank account with debit card.
    Load up your NoChex account from your debit card. Each upload costs £0.99, regardless of the amount.

Make as many NoChex account-to-account transactions as you like for no cost.

Withdraw money back to bank account - again, a £0.99 fee is charged.

If PayPal operated in the same way they wouldn't have to constantly advertise their higher services and frustrate buyers/sellers in the process. They'd also be able to offer faster transaction times to and from your own bank account because it goes through as a transfer instead of a purchase (not sure how the US banks handle this though).

But, whatever. I'll just keep refusing the payments.

11. alan halvorson

I've come across people praising NoChex but I didn't, until now, know how it operated. I like it; wished there was something like that here. Until last fall, PAYPAL had a rival in Cit2. Cit2 charged nothing for transactions for most of its existence, but hardly anyone used it! And now it has ceased operations. Go figure.

12. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Over here PayPal don't charge for non-CC transactions either. The difference is that they committ a payment from your bank to the recipient's bank - so PayPal themselves never see the money, hence, I imagine, no income.