Paypal advice needed, possible fraud

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Paquette, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I find myself in need of some Paypal advice. I purchased something through Paypal last week using a credit card. I still have not received the item and although the seller is still communicating with me, I'm beginning to suspect I've been had. If this ends up beign the case, am I better off going through Paypal or my credit card company to try and get my money back?

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

A week is not long enough to make a decision,and if the seller is still communicating it is a good sign, but I would use PayPal's process first, and if that doesn't work then use the CC process. PayPal's dispute resolution takes up to 10 days. Chances are the item is just slow being shipped, or the seller didn't ship the second it was paid for. Give it another week, and if you still don't have it, ask the seller to provide some proof of shipment or lauch a PayPal complaint. You can always cancel the complaint, but don't be surprised if the seller did ship and you launch a complaint that your feedback is going to reflect that.

3. Mark Paquette

Thanks Jeff. I'm not ready to file anything yet, just getting ready in case I have to. The reason I'm becoming suspicious is because the item was supposedly shipped priority mail and #1 hasn't shown up yet and #2 the confirmation number the seller gave me is invalid according the USPS. Either way, I don't plan on doing anything until next week.

4. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Mark,

Did you get a tracking #?

In my experience, unless the seller can show proof of delivery to your address, Paypal will likely refund you as long as they can gte the money from the seller.

5. DougR

DougR Second Unit

I don't have much faith in the"USPS" Tracking system !!! All the times I have used it,it was worthless !! Just hang in there a few more days .

6. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Yeah, the USPS system isn't really a tracking system. It just shows when an item was mailed and when it was delivered. Nothing in between.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I've had stuff shipped with tracking numbers that didn't show up until after the item was delivered.

8. Mark Paquette

Yep, that's been my experience too. The problem with the number this person gave me is that it comes back as invalid number or something similar. Doesn't even reflect that it was mailed.

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

He may have mistakenly given you the wrong number; ask again. Then again, I've had similar experiences where the number showed up late or not at all. One thing to be aware of - while the USPS states that priority mail takes 2-3 days, it is not guaranteed. I've had priority mail take two weeks! A month once. Finally, some shippers are just plain slow.

Anyway, you haven't waited long enough to start panicing. You can't even start a fraud transaction yet through Ebay or Paypal. Deal with your credit card company directly only as a last resort, and be prepared for an angry Paypal if you do.

10. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

While the USPS tracking is not nearly detailed as UPS or Fedex, every package I have shipped or have had shipped ot me has always shown more data than just delivered. True, they don't seem to be doing origin scans anymore, unless you actually ship from a retail counter. But typically there will be tracking info the day of delivery.

It would be interesting to know how the postage was generated. I use Stamps.com, and the tracking # instantly shows up on USPS.com as Electronic Notification received.

The tracking number if it's from USPS should be at least 20 digits I think. If it starts with a 9 it's probably from some form of internet postage.

11. Mark Paquette

I did verify the number with the seller. The number starts with 0305 and is a 20 digit number. As of this morning via the USPS website it still returns the message "there is no record of this item."

12. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

in my experience, paypal's dispute system is nothing more than a paper tiger. if the seller has already withdrawn the funds into his bank account, paypal can do NOTHING for you. in the rare instances i needed to get my money back, i always contacted my credit card company and received a charge back. paypal did nothing to me for doing this.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just make sure you file a complaint within 45 days (I think it's 45 days, maybe 60 days - read Ebay/Paypal chargeback policies).

The USPS tracking system is almost worthless in real time. I'm still waiting on an item off Ebay, but I give them about 2 weeks before really worrying about it.

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

My lone dispute with PayPal involved a seller who deregistered as soon as he had received payment for all the auctions he was running. I got all my funds back, even though PayPal can withhold $25 if they are unable to get the funds back. Even if PayPal can't or won't refund the money, you still need to go through their process to make a claim on your CC, since they will want you to have exhausted all other means of recovering the funds or completing the transaction.

One safety measure when dealing on eBay is first to be sure to read the feedback provided on the seller, and avoid those whose feedback rating is very low, especially if all the feedback is from sellers. There are tons of scams from sellers with under 10 feedbacks, many of which are generated by other bogus accounts.

Also be wary of any auction where the seller insists you contact them through an email address in the ad - even if they have a high feedback rating. This is most often the sign of a hijacked account.

15. Mark Paquette

As always, cooler heads prevail. Information for the tracking number is FINALLY showing up on the USPS website. Of course it says they attempted delivery, but nobody was home. So I'll be swinging by the PO on my way home from work.

16. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Good deal. Let us know when you have it in hand.

17. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    The USPS tracking system is TERRIBLE. I've shipped tons of things using USPS, and their tracking engine seems to only ever show up anything once an attempted delivery is made. Up until that point, about 80% of the time, nothing ever shows up at the website, it just says "check again later". But, it's cheap.