What's new

Payback (Theatrical Cut) finally Blu? (1 Viewer)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
There is supposedly a region B release on the 28th, but the goddamn date keeps changing. Is it actually getting released this time? is there any indication of a proper US release of the theatrical cut? I find it hard to believe people prefer that "Straight Up Director's Cut" shit over the theatrical. It's basically a different movie! Kris Kristofferson wasn't even in the other cut. I'd be curious to know which SD-DVD release sold better. I'm willing to bet it was the theatrical, and I have to question the logic of releasing only the other cut in HD. Is anyone getting this new release, assuming it's not pushed back again? I'll probably import it.

Brad M

Second Unit
I bought the BluRay not knowing how different the version was on there. I much prefer the theatrical version and would snap-up that version in a heartbeat. It was interesting to see this version but like Superman 2, I want the original version next to it.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Mine's ordered. I still haven't heard if it's region locked. It'd be nice to know.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I actually prefer the Director's cut. It's what the Director had intended from the start. Kris Kristofferson's scenes weren't even shot during principal photography. That was done later by the studio after the film was taken away from Brian Helgeland.

Not that the theatrical version isn't good, but I like the director's cut better.

Doug

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think this is one of the few movies where the words "Director's Cut" actually means something. It wasn't just the addition of a few deleted scenes. The director's version really is an entirely different film from the Suits' version. I thought the DC was interesting from the perspective that it shows just how different a film can turn out when Studio Suits start interfering in production. The main problem I have with the DC is that a female Mob Boss in th '70s just does not seem very realistic to me. I thought both cuts were interesting; although I felt the theatrical cut had an edge in the humour department because it seemed to be a Black Comedy, while the DC was more of a straight homage to the '70s crime film.

Both cuts have their merits, so it is about time that the theatrical cut was made available on Blu.

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it really should be available, it doesn't even need some major restoration. And while we're at it, how about the regular version of The Warriors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks