What's new

Pay no attention to that gear behind the curtain! (Bose Demo story.) (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I'm going to be looking into some Bose demos in my parts. If I find anything fraudulant (other than the speakers themselves) I'll call a local TV news station. Global ITV's "Troubleshooter" program would be a good start. I have seen problems with speakers on this show before (2 kids were ripped off buying white van speakers and also the whole Nuance scandel here in Canada). Even though its only a smaller local audience it would be a good start...

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Tom Nuisane tested the "bass module" and I think is on his Sub list that floats around here sometimes.

It did go down just below 30 hz with ample output!
I bet the 30Hz input tone was generating large amounts of 2nd and 3rd order harmonics rather than the fundamental.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
My original 80 hz claim came off a website, I forget which. But here's a quote from the Bose FAQ:
...the Acoustimass's bass module responds to 46 Hz to 202 Hz at ±2.3 dB. while the satellites respond to 280 Hz to 13.3 kHz at ±10.5 dB. I have never seen any other speaker tested with a ±10.5 db allowance...
These were quoted from Sound & Vision, and they were more generous than some reviewers out there. -2.3 db at 46 hz probably translates to -6 db or worse at 30 hz. If that "bass box" is producing any sound at all at 30 hz, it's probably more port wind and driver extension noises than anything resembling a 30 hz tone.
And I have heard the pod race on an AM15 system. It produced bass, but it was boomy and one-notey, and lacked the bottom octave "punch" I get with my SVS. A judicious boost at 80 hz can make anything sound like "great bass" to the non-critical listener.
KJP

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I think the lack of base on the AM speakers is actually apparent to even a casual observer IF they are allowed to AB it against a decent subwoofer. It isn't even remotely close. It definitely isn't putting out anything effective at 30 hz. Maybe decent db's at 35 hz at best. Sounded more like 40 to me.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I think the lack of base on the AM speakers is actually apparent to even a casual observer IF they are allowed to AB it against a decent subwoofer.
That's why Bose insists that their store displays are kept far away from other brands of speakers and subs, to prevent such A/B comparisons from taking place in the store.

It's just another way they pull the wool over the consumers' eyes.

KJP

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I had an Acoustimass setup once, and if that thing can get anywhere near 30Hz with any sort of accuracy, I'll eat the drivers. (Yum, cheap paper.) A set of decent *bookshelf speakers* will wipe the floor with the "bass module," to say nothing of a real subwoofer.

Now I won't dispute that Bose bass is *loud*, but not deep, accurate or musical. Just thud, thud, thud.

Ryan

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
From my website http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/Misc_HT_Speakers.html
The following quote is from the *Sound&Vision IN THE LAB notes . . .
The bass module delivered an impressive 97-dB SPL with less than 10 percent distortion at 32 Hz. When it was placed in a corner, it averaged 100 dB SPL over its primary bandwidth of 32 to 80 Hz. Its bass control increased output below 150 Hz by 3.4 dB at the maximum position and cut it by 3 dB at the minimum. The module's 200-Hz bandwidth makes it a good match for the satellites.
— Tom Nousaine

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
It's been interesting reading about the Bose demo experience. I went into one several years ago at one of the "Incredible Universe" stores that were around for a while.

Even back then the demo tried to make everyone believe that these teeny tiny little speakers were putting out this BIG sound. Strangely, (at that time) I was the only one who noticed extra speakers (aimed down) located above all of us seated in the room. No wonder the little speakers sounded like lots of bigger ones. There were several more speakers helping!

I couldn't believe (at the time) that they could/would do something like that. But the extra speakers were undeniable!

I guess the only good thing I got out of the whole deal that day was a packet of Bose golf tees. Knowing my luck though, I probably never hit one ball off of them straight!

Joe-T

Stunt Coordinator
For all those in the Central FL area there is a Bose store with full demo room in the outlet mall at Lake Buena Vista near Downtown Disney (Exit 27 off I-4) behind the "Queen of the Universe Shrine". For those in Tampa, there is a Bose store in the International Mall off of Dale Mabry. And for those near Sarasota, FL, there is a Bose store in the Prime Outlets Mall in Ellenton, FL (Exit 43 off I-75). Just some info for those in FL that are now very curious to check out these demos, though I think all the equipment is in a dedicated equipment room with the slide projectors.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I can't believe all these responses to a thread based on a single semi-observation! The only FACTS we have is that someone briefly saw what appeared to be a stack of unknown components in the area of the Bose display. We have NO facts that the components we even connected to the Bose speakers, or if they were, whether they were even being used during the demo? Anyway, were there any "shells" of larger components covering the Bose control unit? During the demo I saw, there was stack of what looked like high-end components setting on the table near the screen which were actually hollow boxes with some LED's that was supposed to make you THINK that you were listening to the large stack of components when you were actually listening to the tiny Bose contol unit. And, high-end components or not, the speakers didn't sound bad at all. Of course, the high end of the audio spectrum was MIA, but otherwise I could see why non-audiophiles buy them.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
TN uses a rather strict 10% thd limit in all SPL data unless otherwise noted.

The bose moduel didn't do too bad...but the FR was terrible. One without the other is indicative of some issues...

TV

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Uh, Jim. Did you read my posts? The Bose guy admitted it to me. You really need to read the posts more closely.

Travis G

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone here tried aiming thier speakers at the walls to mimic the Bose Direct/Reflecting Technology?

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Uh, Jim. Did you read my posts? The Bose guy admitted it to me. You really need to read the posts more closely.
Oops. I did miss that last part your post. You'd think that if Bose Corp. were hiding some secret like they don't actually use there own equipment when they claim they are that they would actually try to conceal the fact a tiny bit better (like a LOCKED room). Suspicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks