What's new

Pawnbroker (1964) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

51+qbxndjsL._SY300_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
This is a great film.

I once met director Sidney Lumet and told him that I had seen this 125 times. He seemed interested until I told him I was a union projectionist in college. :) Actually, he was very charming.

It is fully worth 125 viewings. I will replace my DVD with a Blu-ray without fail.

Bob

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Great film that seems to have fallen beneath the rradar. Lumet, Steiger are brilliant.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I staggered out of the theater when I saw this during its original run. It's that powerful. Rod Steiger's finest performance, overlooked by the Academy voters. I haven't seen it since, but I'm sure I'll get to this BD at some point.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This and SOPHIE'S CHOICE would make a superb (if lengthy) double-feature. If you go with this, I would suggest running THE PAWNBROKER second, as it's the better film (imho).

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
On August 16th BFI will release The Pawnbroker on Blu-ray. It will be a Region B and the extras to be announced at a later date. Have the Olive Films release from 2014 and it did have a nice picture but no extras on it.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have the BFI release of The Pawnbroker and did a quick a/b comparison to my Olive Films dvd and a nice improvement on detail and increased resolution. Looks like both came from the same master which was in good shape. Nice booklet that came with the Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have the BFI release of The Pawnbroker and did a quick a/b comparison to my Olive Films dvd and a nice improvement on detail and increased resolution. Looks like both came from the same master which was in good shape. Nice booklet that came with the Blu-ray.
Any extras and how long was the transit from ship to delivery?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Any extras and how long was the transit from ship to delivery?
Here are the extras on it and it took about 10 days to arrive from the UK.

• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
  • Newly recorded audio commentary by Maura Spiegel, author of Sidney Lumet: A Life and Annette Insdorf, author of Indelible Shadows: Film and Holocaust
  • Guardian Interview: Rod Steiger (1992, 113 mins, audio only): Rod Steiger discusses his career and talks candidly about his mental health issues in this interview with film critic Tom Hutchinson. Recorded at the BFI's National Film Theatre following a screening of The Pawnbroker
  • Now and Then: Quincy Jones (1968, 20 mins): the legendary producer, musician, songwriter and composer is interviewed by Bernard Braden for his never broadcast series Now and Then
  • Ten Bob in Winter (1963, 12 mins): Lloyd Reckord's Ten Bob in Winter is one of the most notable shorts to come out of the BFI Experimental Film Fund. An early classic of Black British cinema about the intriguing social dynamics that arise as a ten shilling note is passed around the Black community.
  • Trailer
  • The Pawnbroker gallery
  • **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet including new writing on the film by filmmaker and film historian Jim Hemphill, an essay on Quincy Jones by Nicolas Pillai, and a Sidney Lumet biography by Maura Spiegel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks