What's new

Paula Abdul's music videos? (1 Viewer)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I really love Paula Abdul and I would think that to ride on the success of American Idol she would release all her music videos in a DVD collection. I actually asked her about this last month when she was on Larry King Live. She said that was a great idea and she had never thought about it before. Larry asked her why she hadn't and she said, "I don't know...maybe I will."

Nobody can deny that Paula's dancing is awesome as well as her just being fine!

I would love the DVD to include all her videos, including the different versions that were made for the UK, and possibly her award show and talk show dance performances.

Who else would want this?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It would be great if your comment generated a release! I enjoyed her stuff back in the 80's on MTV, and would definately pick up the DVD.

Hey, I noticed that both ZZ Top and Pointer Sisters are getting music video releases on DVD, so anything's possible for the icons of the 80's! :)

(I'm all over both of those, by the way)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Funny that you should mention those two groups in this thread as it turns out that Paula choreographed them!

When I called Larry King Live they mistakenly said I was from North Tonawanda, NY...who knows where they got that from as I'm from Salt Lake City. When I called though nobody asked me where I was from.

I wrote Paula a letter explaining the mistake on the off chance she may want to credit me with spurring the idea;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That IS funny. :)

I hope I'm not derailing your thread (hard to be sure if it's even in the right forum), but here's info on Pointer Sisters release:

[c] [/c]

Length: 30 minutes
Rating: Not Rated
MSRP: $ 7.99
Release Date: 6/1/2004
Studio: Image
Audio Format: Stereo
Screen Format: Full Frame
Region Code: Region 1
Original Languages: English

The only one I want that's not included is "Neutron Dance", which may be excluded due to rights issues (it has footage from Beverly Hills Cop). As for the rest, I hope that these are the "uncut, original" versions of their music videos, and not the "shaded out" versions that MTV aired after complaints that some scenes were "too sexy" for hormone-crazed younger male viewers. The "I'm So Excited" video is the main culprit, of course, but "Jump" also had an altered version IIRC. Gimme the originals!

And frankly, I'm sure that the current publicity - negative though it may be - will only help people remember the group and help sales of this previously-planned disc.

Rhino's releasing the ZZ Top disc, which was just mentioned yesterday for the first time and there's no cover art or track listing yet, or even a price. Street date is 6/15 though. I hope it includes all the 80's classics like "Gimme All Your Lovin'", "Legs", "Sharp Dressed Man", and "Rough Boy". Since the DVD is called ZZ Top - Greatest Hits: The Video Collection, I have very few worries. It surely will stick to crossing over with Rhino's similarly-named CD!

Oh, Rhino also announced a 6/22 release for "The Very Best Of Cher: The Video Hits Collection". Yummy, another winner for me! No further info on that one, either.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I would be interested in that Pointer Sisters video...maybe it will mention in the extras that Paula choreographed them (look at me setting the train back on track:)). I really like their songs and that's really not a bad price.

I do have a lot of Paula's videos on VHS from collections that were released before but as we all know, DVD is much better. Plus they don't include:

Vibeology (my favorite song from the 'Spellbound' album).
Will You Marry Me?
My Love is for Real
Crazy Cool (which is a really racy video because she does a pole dance. I think MTV may have even made her do a remake of it).

Ain't Never Gonna Give You Up (my favorite song, but only the extended remix).

Chuck L

Screenwriter
David...your news of Cher makes me very happy! Where did you see this information?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I'll put it this way: if it were a TV show, I'd be breaking the news first as a TVShowsOnDVD news item. It was on a list of upcoming releases that I got through my Rhino distribution contact yesterday. No new TV shows on the list this time, but the Cher and ZZ Top were on it! :)

I'm sure the news will filter out to other DVD news websites in the next few days. Or else it will appear for pre-order at some e-tailers soon.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, does anyone care for details of the DVDs from those other groups that Paula Abdul choreographed? :D

ZZ TOP Greatest Hits: The Video Collection
Timeless, Classic Videos– First Time on DVD

“They had all the right ideas about video when MTV flowered.” –Rolling Stone

With their instantly recognizable grungy blues-rock sound, ZZ Top reached the height of their success with continuous MTV video play. And their unique sound was matched only by their distinctive appearance in those clips–long beards, wild suits, the custom vintage red Ford, and the trademark arm swing. Anyone who tuned into the early days of MTV will remember smash videos like “Sharp Dressed Man,” “Legs,” and “Gimme All Your Lovin’.” Now, for the first time available on DVD, is a collection of 12 of ZZ Top’s memorable music videos.

Gimme All Your Lovin’
Sharp Dressed Man
Legs
TV Dinners
Sleeping Bag
Stages
Rough Boy
Velcro Fly
Give It Up
My Head’s In Mississippi
Burger Man
Viva Las Vegas

DVD: 970320-2 $19.99
STREET DATE: 6.15.04

Sell Points
A first-ever DVD retrospective encompassing 12 of ZZ Top’s most notorious clips.
ZZ Top released 7 platinum and multiplatinum albums, and 3 gold albums and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March of 2004.
Band is more visible than ever with a summer tour and 2003 release of new record, Mescalero.
ZZ Top’s triple-platinum CD, Greatest Hits (released on Warner Bros. in 1992), continues to sell 3,000 units per week.
5.1 audio
Color/±50 mins.

The Very Best Of Cher: The Video Hits Collection

An electrifying career retrospective from the most prolific female entertainer of our time.

Cher is a unique global superstar. Her ability to constantly reinvent herself has secured her status as a pop culture icon and kept her on top through changing tastes in music, film, and fashion. A Grammy®-winning recording artist and Academy Award®-winning actress, she has been in the public eye for 40 years. For the first time, THE VERY BEST OF CHER: THE VIDEO HITS COLLECTION brings together favorites from every decade. Journey through her amazing career with this DVD, featuring 16 of her most visually arresting clips, including the worldwide smash “Believe,” “If I Could Turn Back Time,” and “I Found Someone.”

Believe
If I Could Turn Back Time
Main Man
Save Up All Your Tears
Walking In Memphis
One By One (Dance Remix)
I Found Someone
Strong Enough
Song For The Lonely (Almighty Remix)
We All Sleep Alone
Heart Of Stone
The Shoop Shoop Song: (It’s In His Kiss)
Dov’e L’amore
Love Can Build A Bridge
Half-Breed
Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)

Exact selections & running order TBD
DVD: 970184-2 $19.99
STREET DATE: 6.15.04 (says 6/22 in other places - Dave)

Sell Points
Cher’s first-ever video compilation DVD, spanning
4 decades of hits, outrageous fashion, and
uncompromising artistry.
16 clips, including the smash hits “If I Could Turn
Back Time,” “I Found Someone,” and the global
sensation “Believe.”
Cher’s Very Best OfCD is certified double platinum
by the RIAA and charted on Billboard’s Top 200 for
almost a year.
The Emmy-winning “Farewell” tour continues to sell
out venues in the U.S. and internationally, so far
grossing a whopping $145 million and playing to
more than 2.2 million fans.
First time on DVD.
5.1 audio.
Color/±60 mins./

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
You sure are insistent Mr. Lambert for taking the spotlight from Paula;) It's all right, really, as she is involved one way or another with everything in this thread...

...but to get it back to more of a focus on her I will say that she did choreograph the "Velcro Fly" video for ZZ Top and one an MTV Video award for it.

Now she just needs to release her award winning videos on DVD!

p.s. It's been two months ago yesterday that I spoke to her.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator

Holy crap! I'M from North Tonawanda! Who would have thunk it? Someone must have called in before you or something and he got it mixed up, because you don't just pull this city out of nowhere. ;) Wow, that made my day! :D

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
My kingdom to actually be from North Tonawanda! Because then I'd be all the more closer to NYC where Paula is going to be this weekend at the Toys R Us in Manhattan promoting some new toy and 500 people will be able to meet her.....

Plus it's a cooler sounding name for a city than Salt Lake City.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Here is one reason that Paula needs to get to steppin' with releasing her music videos:

An ebay auction for her videos that haven't been released that sold for....

I bid on this at the beginning but I can't believe how much the winner paid!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I just found on www.musictap.net, a website devoted to music news the following story:

We have some format shifts here for you. Not too long ago we mentioned unnamed upcoming titles from:

Paula Abdul
Pat Benatar
Blondie
Heart
Ice Cube
Megadeth
Poison
Snoop Dogg
Billy Squier
George Thorogood
Well...they ain't CDs. These are now revealed as Video Hits. This likely means that they will be similar in scope to the very popular Universal issues, 20th Century Masters: The DVD Collection. These EMI collections will be available on September 27. Good news as it removes the confusion and...it's cool getting hold of videos of your favourite bands. More on this batch as info becomes available.

Looks like my talking to Paula got something going...or not...but regardless, looks like it may happen! I realize this isn't official news but it's a good start.

Plus I know a lot of you would be interested in the other artists listed.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I always thought it was strange with all of the dead time with the extended length American Idol shows that they wouldn't just for kicks have Paula sing one of her six #1 hits. The contestants probably are too young to remember her and might actually be impressed to know that she was actually a popular singer nearly 15 years ago.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I always wondered that, too.

It was cool in the first season when the kids sang a mix of her songs. She was really impressed by it.

Paula says that her and Randy have been working on her upcoming album and she'll be devoted to that for the break between Idols...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
On American Juniors, They had Gladys Knight perform with their contestants. Will buy this Paula Abdul video collection as soon as I can unless it's ridiculously overpriced.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Well, if Gladys did it than, dammit, I want Paula to do it too!

BTW, reading on Music Tap.net they updated their info about the release of Paula's videos (as well as the other artists whose videos were coming out that day.

It says:

"Those DVD issues that we made some mistakes on last month mistaking them for CD releases have been moved from their scheduled date of September 28 to January 11, 2005. The series are Video Hits and are for Paula Abdul; Pat Benatar; Blondie; Heart; Ice Cube; Megadeth; Poison; Snoop Dogg; Billy Squier; and George Thorogood."

That sucks as the previous release date was two weeks before my birthday...and now this release date is two weeks after Christmas!! But I suppose I shouldn't whine and be happy that it's being released at all...

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
So EMI Music Canada has this Paula video collection up on their site with a picture of the cover:

There are no listings for what videos are included but the price is just $7.98.

I'm hesitant to purchase this because of the following:

A couple weeks ago I had the extreme pleasure of actually meeting Paula at a Meet-N-Greet in Columbus, OH. She fielded questions for an hour before hand and one of the questions asked was when she was going to release her videos. She said she was aware that someone was releasing her videos without her approval and that they weren't advertising it and not promoting it. She also said she felt these music videos are her artwork because they represent her and her music and dancing and that she is going to put together a great package herself.

And by the looks of this video cover it looks like only her "Forever Your Girl" vidoes as those pictures come from that era...but who knows? Maybe it's all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks