What's new

Paul Verhoeven Collection (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Just got this today, and I gotta say this is a great set. I never got around to getting Verhoeven's Dutch films, although he is one of my favorite directors. But for a reduced price, I couldn't pass this set up. $54 for 5 movies is hardly a lot. And the packaging is great. I was expecting just a repackaging of the existing DVDs, but no. It's a very stylish X-Files-style gold/black case with raised lettering and a booklet. The DVDs, I guess are the same as previous ones. I watched the first one and it's fun. All come anamorphic, with Verhoeven commentary and a trailer, plus some stills. Overall, it's a totally cool package. Thumbs up, Anchor Bay! (Hey, my first AB release... :) )

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Hi, Paul.

I have Soldier of Orange, Turkish Delight, and The Fourth Man, and I'm happy with the presentations, and the movies. Good on Anchor Bay in continually releasing reasonable quality niche product.

P.S What are the remaining films in the Collection?

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
The other 2: Katie Tippel and Business is Business.

I saw Soldier of Orange 20 some years ago and thought it was one of the true great films. Had no idea who the director was, until much much later when Verhoeven became a box office smasher. I do not know any of the other films in the collection, good stuff??

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I do not know any of the other films in the collection, good stuff??
Contrary to popular belief, Verhoeven doesn't make bad films :D

Now I just got this box, but the first feature, Business is Business is actually very good, being his first feature film. I own the Spetters DVD that came out recently, so I knew what type of films to expect, and so far it's looking great. And spreaking of great, the transfers aren't too bad either. Perhaps there might be some reviews somewhere, but really, I was surprised by the video. And this is the oldest film in the set I'm talking about. It's not flawless, but very good - sharp, has great contrast and color.

I really highly recommend this to anyone how likes the work of Paul Verhoeven, or just good modern European cinema.

Now where's that Flesh + Blood announcement? :angry:

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I do not know any of the other films in the collection, good stuff??
In The Netherlands, Turkish Delight and Soldier Of Orange are considered to be the greatest Vehoeven classics, and certainly also two of the best Dutch films ever.

Turkish Delight was also the first Dutch movie ever to be nominated for the foreign language Oscar, and has also won the Golden Calf (Dutch Academy Award) in 1999 for "best Dutch movie of the 20th century".

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Great news re:Verhoeven's Flesh & Blood; according to DVDFile.com MGM has announced a DVD release for February '04, although no details are available yet. I'm psyched.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
absolutely fantastic news re F&B

Paul Verhoeven worked with Rutger Hauer on nearly all of his Dutch movies. Great combo

:emoji_thumbsup:

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hopefully there will be Verhoeven commentary - he has recorded one for all of his films.

And hopefully his other films will be released on DVD as well. He made a terrific Dutch TV movie in the late seventies set around WWII, and has also made some excellent short films.

All of the episodes of his TV show Floris are also available in R2, with a cool new documentary with him and Rutger Hauer. Unfortunately, IIRC there are no English subtitles.

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
Fantastic news - Verhoeven and Hauer - what could be missing..... well how about the Jennifer Jason Leigh famous bath scene....:D

Looking forward to this! MGM better release this one in the right aspect ratio!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
nice to hear the news on flesh+blood. i can scratch another off the dwindling want list. it will probably cost $9 change @ ddd like dragonslayer did. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I think I may just pick this one up sight unseen, I have Soldier of Orange & Turkish Delight in my queue at Netflix so I don't know anything about them apart from their reputation, however I have seen The Fourth Man recently and was very impressed with it (interesting echoes of this are seen in quite a few of his latter film, namely Basic Instinct).
This set worth a blind purchase?

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I think I may just pick this one up sight unseen, I have Soldier of Orange & Turkish Delight in my queue at Netflix so I don't know anything about them apart from their reputation...
I bought Soldier of Orange in 2001. I've had a soft spot for this film ever since I first saw it on cable in the late '70's. It's in dutch with english subtitles. English is spoken when the scenes switch to England.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, go for the Box! I started this thread because I was so surprised by it. And the films are great. If you like Verhoeven, this set is a must.

Flesh + Blood disc will SRP for $14.95!!!
Thanks, Dave. Hopefully for the price we'll get something similar to MGM's Spetters DVD, which is essentially barebones, but has a trailer and a Verhoeven commentary, which are always top-notch. I forget what Spetters' SRP was...

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I hope FLESH AND BLOOD is anamorphic and has a commentary. MGM's SPETTERS disc was non-anamorphic but did have a commentary track.

Rutger Hauer was out here in Melbourne a couple of months ago, acting (I think) in the new SALEM'S LOT miniseries remake with Rob Lowe and Donald Sutherland. He showed up unannounced at the Melbourne Short Film Festival (a low profile fest promoted and attended by a lot of buffs, aspiring filmmakers and local film fans down here) and pretty much requested/demanded that he be allowed to take part, sit on the judges panel, talk to the crowd and so on. The organisers were basically stunned but fairly happily allowed him to do just that (he was offering to do this for free), and Rutger was everywhere thoughout the fest for much of the week. He had made a few short films himself (one or more are on the recent Region 2 S.E of THE HITCHER with commentary from Hauer) and the whole idea of the short film fest really seemed to spark off something passionate in him. He gave a great (very slightly drunken?) speech to the crowd at one point on the opening night which began with the line "To make a short film, you need to have a big cock!", which drew a mixture of applause, gasps and stunned giggles from the crowd. He later agreed to 'An Afternoon with Rutger'-style interview hosted by a local radio film reviewer at a nearby cinema and cafe, with a large crowd in attendance. Rutger was a cheery and friendly bloke but his English struggled once in a while. Philippe More (who directed Hauer in A BREED APART) showed up and told some hilarious stories of Kathleen Turner and Hauer's mutual dislike on the set of that movie (each felt that the other was a pig who needed to take a bath) and mentioned how Hauer opened his mouth and chomped down on Turner's bare foot at the end of one take to indicate that her feet stank. If I'd had my Verhoeven box with me back then I would have asked Hauer to sign it somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks