What's new

Paul Newman: When Time Ran Out (1 Viewer)

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
I´d like to ask you whether it´s worth to pick up the upcoming DVD "When Time Ran Out" starring Paul Newman, Jaquelline Bisset and William Holden?

I never saw this movie. Is it worth to pick it up???

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'd rent it first. If you enjoy BAD movies you might like this in a campy type of way. This certainly wasn't Newman's greatest hour.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
No.
It's a cut-rate disaster movie. A hack script, bad process shots and shaky back-screen projection, produced perhaps marginally better than Allen Quatermain and the Kingdom of the Skulls" or Snakes on a Train.

I remember seeing Newman on a talk show where he apologized for appearing in the film and swore he'd never again take a job just for the money. He also promised that his movies would be "a lot more dangerous from now on" or words to that effect, and then came some of his best work, Absence of Malice, The Verdict, etc.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's pretty miserable, a disaster movie with a lot of budget for stars and little budget for disasters. Irwin Allen's genre swan song.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Not quite. Allen produced a couple more disaster flicks as tv-movies in the '80s.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
This is easily Irwin Allen's worst film. Even the much-maligned THE SWARM is better-produced and more entertaining.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This came after Irwin Allen's "The Towering Inferno" and "The Poseidon Adventure". Those were probably his best films.

All his other disaster movies after those went downhill. The genre was overdone, the stories just awful. He still tried the star-studded cast of Hollywood's best, but he had lost his touch by the time "When Time Ran Out" was done. Bad, really bad.

If you find it in a budget bin for a buck or two, maybe. Otherwise, I'd pass.

Joe:C

Second Unit
I remember watching this on televison when I was a kid and thought it was great! I take it from the posts above, if I watched this now, it wouldn't quite hold up.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
“When Time Ran Out (1980) and “The Concorde – Airport 79” (1979) finished off the 60s/70’s era of big cast disaster films. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember seeing the film in theatres during its original run. It was a very fun bad film. The set up of each character was very typical of the genre and lasted about 30 minutes. One of the enjoyable parts was that the cast was made up of mostly actors that had appeared in earlier Irwin Allen films, including his wife Sheila Allen. I believe that this film was the last on the contract between Allen and Warner Brothers and while they went with the pay for the well known cast, the really skimped on the effects using a lot of red floods to light the closeness of the lava instead of showing it.

For a disaster film geek, this will have to be a given to complete the genre.

chemist

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I'm a big 70's disaster movie fan but I've never seen this movie due to lack of availability. It's already on my Netflix queue. I am aware of its less than stellar reputation as the swan song of the big budget, star-studded disaster movie era. The Swarm is a pretty poor film as well. But a special mention must go to The Concorde - Airport '79. I had heard that it was bad. Really bad. And how good could Airport 4 have possibly been, really? A few years ago I bought the four movie DVD set and watched all four films, including The Concorde.

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

This has got to be amongst the very worst major studio films ever made. Jaw droppingly bad. George Kennedy should either be ashamed or congratulated for being in on the joke. We are talking Star Wars Holiday Special level of terrible. Flying a loop-the-loop while firing a gun out of the open cockpit window?! If you have the time you should rent it to see just how wrong it can all go. I am not normally one for hyperbole, but wow.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
If I remember my old Starlog magazine articles correctly, yet another Airport flick, (with a UFO angle to it) died in development hell. (I suspect "Airplane!" was the last nail in the coffin!) Airport '79 was also beaten to the punch by the tv-movie "SST: Death Flight" in 1977.

"Snakes on a Plane" should have had a George Kennedy cameo. :D

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
George Kennedy with a cameo on "Snakes On A Plane" would have been great. And I even enjoyed the film though I can not stand to watch a snake.

I will most certainly get "When Time Ran OUt" as I am a disaster film geek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bill scruggs
Recent bookmarks