Paul MCcartney's wingspan dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bruce paller, Nov 14, 2001.

1. bruce paller

bruce paller Auditioning

Has anyone seen this yet?---how's the audio/video quality?
    Is it diffrent than the television special that was shown a few months ago?

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Get this...it's 16x9 anamorphic widescreen. It looks and sounds great!
    In addition to the original special, it has a 22-minute segment of additional interviews, a photo gallery, and music promo videos to Jet, Let 'em in, and Rockestra.
    Thumbs up!
    - Steve
    [Edited last by Steve Tannehill on November 14, 2001 at 07:32 PM]

3. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

In a big surprise to me, the disc is both anamorphic and has a PCM-only soundtrack. The documentary is supposedly the same as the TV special, but it only runs 88 minutes, so there may be a few minutes that appeared in the TV version that aren't on the DVD. Perhaps there were some transitions in the TV version that got in and out of commercials better, as the DVD runs seamlessly with no breaks. I'm pretty happy with the picture and sound on the disc, considering it's made up of new and archival stuff.
    The bonus videos ("Jet," "Rockestra Theme" and "Let 'Em In") are full-frame. Two of these are live performances and are not "promotional films" as I think many had originally hoped. There are also 20 minutes of (anamorphic) interview outtakes with Paul and his daughter.
    ------------------
    = Derek =

4. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

I agree that it's great, but I have a couple questions/points...
    1) I didn't see the special on tv. How long was it? This is 88 minutes. Surely it didn't have 32 minutes of commercials.
    2) the 22 minutes of outtake interviews would be more interesting to me not chopped up by subject.
    3)In the discography, they mistakenly list the songs from Wings at the Speed of Sound as the songs on Wings Over America.
    4) I'm nearing 120 discs and this is only the 2nd I've noticed the layer change and it's in a bad place. During concert footage. As often as this cuts from one segment to another, surely they could have found a less noticable spot.
    Still, I love the DVD and recommend it to any McCartney fan.
    ------------------
    I suppose you think that's very funny, Harold.
    my incomplete DVD list as I can't access DVDProfiler currently

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The special had a lot of commercials, plus promos for each upcoming segment. Editing out the segment intros and commercials might very well indeed amount to 32 minutes of a total 120.
    - Steve

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I work at PAX-TV, and our 2-hour programs/movies routinely time out between 85 and 94 minutes sans commercials.
    Kurt, I noticed both the mucked up tracklisting for "Wings Over America" and the awful, awful layer change. I even posted about it in a current "bad layer change" thread.
    ------------------
    = Derek =

7. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

I've just noticed my photo gallery doesn't work. Normally, I have no interest in this feature, but this says "choose from 100 slides." When I click on this, skeletal hands open in the Wings symbol, 10 photos appear and it goes back to the features menu. Total time elapsed, less than 5 seconds. I can't even focus on the photos before they disappear. Anyone else have this problem?
    ------------------
    I suppose you think that's very funny, Harold.
    my incomplete DVD list as I can't access DVDProfiler currently