Paul McCartney Back in the U.S. DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Jones, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

Just picked this one up this morning. I guess I'm biased, since I saw the show in New Orleans, but this is a GREAT show. Just look at the set list; All My Loving, Band on the Run, Back in the U.S.S.R., Hey Jude, Let it Be, Sgt. Pepper, Maybe I'm Amazed, Yesterday...the list goes on to 30 songs! Easily the best tour of his career! The video is a bit flawed, but the sound is great! Some cool behind the scenes stuff, too. If you missed the tour, catch a piece of it with this one.

2. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

AND, (though, not advertised on the case) DTS!!!
    Quite a show indeed!!!
    C

3. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

I'm a huge fan of both McCartney and the Beatles but I must admit I'm really disappointed with this DVD.
    I prefer to see the show the way the show was performed.

They hacked this great concert up into a couple of songs, followed by useless crowd reaction, then back to a couple of songs, then backstage to rehearsal footage, then back to the concert. For the life of me, I can't understand why they didn't put all the extra stuff, documentary style, into the special features section and leave the show itself alone.

The full frame video is okay at best and the DTS audio track is nothing special. (I haven't given the DD 5.1 track a listen yet).

Unlike the LIVE AT THE CAVERN CLUB DVD, BACK IN THE USA gives no feel to being at the event.

Of course this is just my disappointed opinion.

-Gary

4. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

You forgot to mention that it has a DTS track. But as mentioned the video is disgraceful...way too soft almost out of focus. Too many crowd shots(if you like women with big breasts then you'll like the crowd shots[​IMG] )The sound is very good and since I picked it up for 14.99 it was worth the purchase

5. Jim Millar

Jim Millar Auditioning

I just picked this up today and I thought it was a great addition to my collection. Since I wasn't able to attend one of the concerts, this is the next best thing for me. I also thought the DTS was great and the songs brought back a lot of memories. I will agree that the video wasn't fantastic but the songs more than made up for that!!

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Why in the world, in the year 2002, would a brand new concert DVD from a major artist with serious financial backing not be released in anamorphic widescreen (1.78:1) downrezzed from a high definition source?
    I would assume that a program like this would be a natural for a high-definition broadcast. Is Paul still living in the 60's?
    If the video quality of a concert on DVD isn't first rate I'd rather just listen to the CD.

7. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

The dvd is also pretty loud. I was listening to it (DD) on my Denon 3300 at -28 which is way down from the reference point of -12.
    Even at -28 I was thinking about turning it down even more.

The dvd is a nice souvenier from the Tour for those who were there and those who missed it.

8. Jeremy Jones

I agree. Paul, if your reading (Ha!), next time use anamorphic widescreen and use a better video source. And, I do wish the concert was straight through. He had a lot of good stories and anecdotes at our concert that would've been nice additions. Still, I'm not complaining too much. At least there IS a DVD of the best concert of my life...and I'm only 31!!!!! Dang! All down hill from here.

9. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Last night I saw the C-band feed to the ABC affiliates for tonight's broadcast of an edited version of the concert and the video looked a bit better than the DVD (strange huh?).

The feed I saw was tagged as 4:3 and I couldn't find any information if tonights broadcast is in HD. I did notice some slight differences in the ABC version. There are a couple of more old video clips of the Beatles era but man oh man, is the ABC presentation hacked up.

-Gary

10. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Is the dvd identical to the tv special or is it longer? Is all the music on the 2 cd set presented on the dvd? Saw his show in CHicago last May and it was great!

11. Jeremy Jones

No, it's longer than the tv special. It has a few more songs (Including You Never Give Me Your Money with the massage story) and more behind the scenes stuff. It also has some more soundcheck songs. Worth the money!

12. Reni D

Reni D Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up this DVD. I loved it. But I do have a question does the DVD Bring a inside slip ? Mine did't and I found it odd. I wasen't sure if it just doesn't bring one. Thanks in advance

13. Jeremy Jones

No insert in mine. I was hoping for a booklet of photos, but I'll settle for the concert. [​IMG]

14. Reni D

Reni D Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jeremy,This concert Rocks. I was able to see Paul in Ft.Lauredale and having this DVD will relive that night.