What's new

Paul Lynde was popular - so why is his show not on DVD please? (1 Viewer)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Paul Lynde was a popular guest star in various series. I believe that he had his own show (which to my knowledge was never screened here in Britain.) I have never seen an episode of it - but I wonder why it has never made it to DVD. When last year My Mother The Car was released on DVD I was hoping that it would be followed by some more old comedy series that I had heard of, but never seen. The Paul Lynde Show seems to fit the bill here.

Ian,
There are a lot of shows which sit in limbo, like The Paul Lynde Show.
Some of my favorites like my holy grail, Ben Casey and The Bob Cummings Show gather dust on the shelf while lessor shows IMHO, get released. VERY frustrating to say the least.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
Paul did a lot of work for Screen Gems, with his work on Bewitched, Jeannie, Temperature’s Rising, and his own series. He also appeared in two Gidget TV movie pilots in the late 60s/early 70s (also from Screen Gems). He was the only actor from the first pilot to carry over to the second pilot.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^
He is also in an episode of the Gidget TV series.
"Take a lesson."

One of the most interesting series he was on was Burke's Law, because it wasn't a sitcom. He appeared on three separate episodes, one of which is on the first season DVD release.

INSERT: WHERE'S SEASON 2 FERCRYIN'OUTLOUD?

The available episode is:
Who Killed Cable Roberts? (1963)

The other two episodes are:

-Who Killed Merlin the Great? (1964)
-Who Killed Mr. Colby in Ladies' Lingerie? (1965)

Heh!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Paul Lynde was a popular guest star in various series. I believe that he had his own show (which to my knowledge was never screened here in Britain.) I have never seen an episode of it - but I wonder why it has never made it to DVD. When last year My Mother The Car was released on DVD I was hoping that it would be followed by some more old comedy series that I had heard of, but never seen. The Paul Lynde Show seems to fit the bill here.

Clearly if the studio execs thought there was sufficient profit margin [not to be confused with interest] the material you want would be available and in your preferred format. I don't think I'll ever understand the point of criticizing a person or group for how they use something they legitimately own. No disrespect is intended.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I remember TPLS being hilariously funny when it aired, and rewatching the reruns now confirms this. I've seldom heard a studio audience go as nuts as they do whenever he opens his mouth, even for a line as mundane as, "Where's...Howie?" Love to see it on DVD, but yeah, Sony doesn't give two squats about its library prior to 1980.

Incidentally, the show was filmed, not taped, so remastering would not be particularly costly.

Mike S.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Antenna is only showing 17 of the 26 episodes, which means either one of two things. Either there are some kind of music issues with the other 9 shows, which I doubt, but since I have 8 of them, I can check when I get an opportunity. Or else Sony didn't have readily available elements on those other episodes. I'm not sure what they are running, old tape transfers or new dirty transfers off 16mm (like The Millionaire on Decades). They certainly didn't spend the money to go back and do new transfers off the 35's.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Antenna is only showing 17 of the 26 episodes, which means either one of two things. Either there are some kind of music issues with the other 9 shows, which I doubt, but since I have 8 of them, I can check when I get an opportunity. Or else Sony didn't have readily available elements on those other episodes. I'm not sure what they are running, old tape transfers or new dirty transfers off 16mm (like The Millionaire on Decades). They certainly didn't spend the money to go back and do new transfers off the 35's.

Hmmm. Yes, check them if you can, I'm curious.

If anyone's interested, I was keeping track of the ones they aired.
The ones in BOLD were aired (#26 tomorrow, then Antenna-TV shows they'll start over with #1 after next weekend).

09-13-72
01 "Howie Comes Home to Roost"

09-20-72
02 "Whiz Kid Sizzles as Quiz Fizzles"

09-27-72
03 "The Landlord"

10-04-72
04 "No Nudes Is Good Nudes"

10-11-72
05 "To Commune or Not to Commune"

10-18-72
06 "How to Be Unhappy, Though Poor"

10-25-72
07 "Pollution Solution"

11-01-72
08 "To Wed or Not to Wed"

11-08-72
09 "Unsteady Going"

11-22-72
10 "Whose Lib?"

11-29-72
11 "Meet Aunt Charlotte"

12-06-72
12 "An Affair to Forget"

12-13-72
13 "Martha's Last Hurrah"

12-20-72
14 "Paul's Desperate Hour"

12-27-72
15 "No More Mr. Nice Guy"

01-03-73
16 "The Bare Facts"

01-10-73
17 "Howie's Inheritance"

01-17-73
18 "P.S. I Loathe You"

01-24-73
19 "The Congressman's Son"

01-31-73
20 "Out of Bounds"

02-07-73
21 "Is This Trip Necessary?"

02-14-73
22 "Everything You Wanted to Know About Your Mother-in-Law But Were Afraid to Ask"

02-21-73
23 "Back Talk"

02-28-73
24 "Barbara Goes Home to Mother"

03-07-73
25 "Togetherness"

03-14-73
26 "Springtime for Paul"

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I was really hoping they would air Barbara Goes Home to Mother, as that's one I'm missing. When I was new into the hobby in the early 80s, a film dealer I met had prints of this show, Governor and JJ, Good Guys, Hey Landlord, Temperatures Rising and Bridget Loves Bernie. Many were black and white of color but I figured that the shows were so rare, better to pick them up as is. Other than BLB, all of the rest have them haven't aired anywhere (except for TR on USA).

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Coincidentally, a few minutes ago, I was reading Variety from March 21, 1962, and believe it or not, they were talking about this Paul Lynde show. (1962 is not a typo!)

It said a show called "Howie," starring Paul Lynn (sic) was vying with "The Dick Van Dyke Show" for the Wed. 9:30 EST slot on CBS for the 1962-63 season. The sponsors would decide which show would get the slot (and of course it was DVD).

That means Lynde had to wait ten years to get that show on the air!

Trivia: Van Dyke and Lynde had appeared together on Broadway in "Bye Bye Birdie" and were just about to start the film version. I guess there were no hard feelings.

More trivia: "Howie" was based on a Broadway play of that name which ran for only half a week in 1958.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Does anyone know if Antenna TV eventually plans to run all 26 episodes? I would record these for my video collection but if Antenna isn't going to air the entire series then I won't bother recording.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Coincidentally, a few minutes ago, I was reading Variety from March 21, 1962, and believe it or not, they were talking about this Paul Lynde show. (1962 is not a typo!)

It said a show called "Howie," starring Paul Lynn (sic) was vying with "The Dick Van Dyke Show" for the Wed. 9:30 EST slot on CBS for the 1962-63 season. The sponsors would decide which show would get the slot (and of course it was DVD).

The PILOT for this show is on youtube. (In 4 parts.)

Here's Part 1:

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if Antenna TV eventually plans to run all 26 episodes? I would record these for my video collection but if Antenna isn't going to air the entire series then I won't bother recording.

I would doubt it. Usually when they run through a series, they air what they got and that's usually it.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I would doubt it. Usually when they run through a series, they air what they got and that's usually it.

That's too bad if those same nine episodes are going to continue being skipped over.

From Antenna TV, I did record all episodes of The Joey Bishop Show, seasons 1, 3, and 4, I didn't need to record season 2 because I have the DVD set Questar released several years ago. Antenna TV airs edited versions of the episodes, but I figure it's better to have the edited ones than nothing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks