What's new

Paul Klipsch has passed away (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I know that this probably belongs in the after hours forum but I didn't want it to be missed. He passed away yesterday morning. He was 98.

As someone that uses and loves his speakers I was saddened to hear this. I thought that it was worth mentioning here. My condolences to his family.

Admin's, if you want to move this please do. As I said, I didn't want this to be missed and I figured that the speaker section would be appropriate.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
A true legend. Who knows what the state of HT today would be without the influence of this one person and his company.

Thanks for the heads up Jim.

Ron

DanaA

Screenwriter
This is sad news. He certainly was a huge impact on many of our lives.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
He certainly help shape the speaker industry,

I've sold hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Klipsch in the years I've been working in ce ,it has always been a constant in my mix of products.....

I believe that he was in the U.S. Engineering Hall of Fame...

must look for an obit to post.....

erikk

Stunt Coordinator
From Klipsch.com:
The life of Paul W. Klipsch
A memorial letter from CEO Fred S. Klipsch
Washington Post:
Paul W. Klipsch Acoustics Engineer
Paul W. Klipsch, 98, who pioneered high-quality audio systems with the company he founded in Hope, Ark., died May 5 in Little Rock. The cause of death was not reported.
An engineer with patents in acoustics, ballistics and geophysics, he founded his company in 1946. He created a corner, horn-loaded speaker design that is still in production. The sound moves from the speaker and uses the walls of the room to effectively extend the horn, creating a rich sound that can emulate an orchestral setting.
Klipsch Audio Technologies, now headquartered in Indianapolis, makes specialty speakers for the home, including systems for computers and commercial outlets, such as cinemas and the Hard Rock Cafe chain.
Associated Press:
Paul W. Klipsch: Founder of high-quality audio systems company
05/06/2002
Associated Press
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Paul W. Klipsch, who pioneered high-quality audio systems with the company he founded in Hope, died Sunday. He was 98.
Mr. Klipsch became enamored with audio as a boy after his mother moved the family phonograph into a corner and the sound improved, a company spokesman said. An engineer with patents in acoustics, ballistics and geophysics, Mr. Klipsch founded the company that bears his name in 1946.
Mr. Klipsch created a corner, horn-loaded speaker design that is still in production. The sound moves from the speaker and uses the walls of the room to effectively extend the horn, creating a rich sound that can emulate an orchestral setting.
Born in Elkhart, Ind., in 1904, Mr. Klipsch was stationed at the Hope Proving Grounds during World War II. While in the Army there, he worked to refine the design of his folded corner woofer, the prototype of the "Klipschorn."
He settled in Hope, where, after the war, he bought a building at the old proving grounds and manufactured his first Klipschorn. The building is now the Klipsch Museum of Audio History, with the manufacturing plant nearby.
The company has headquarters in Indianapolis.
After receiving his undergraduate degree, Mr. Klipsch worked for General Electric designing radios, and later he maintained electric locomotives in Chile for the company. After leaving Stanford, he worked in Texas as a geophysicist for an oil company. In the Army, he attained the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Mr. Klipsch patented his loudspeaker design in 1945.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
My condolences to the Klipsch family...a true pioneer will be missed!

Eric.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks