Paul Anderson talks Resident Evil DVD specs (2 disc version planned)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Jul 9, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

from http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/news.asp?4018
    a more imminent treat for Resident Evil fans is the DVD release, which should contain more than enough goodies to keep viewers entertained. “There was a different ending to start with,” says Anderson, “so that’ll be on the disc. There’ll be a lot of additional commentary, a lot of documentary stuff on the visual effects. We did a special feature where I got together with Marilyn Manson and we talk about scoring the movie, which is an additional shoot that we did, so there’ll be a tonne of stuff. In America they’re doing two versions, the first version is the regular movie with director’s commentary and trailers and stuff like that but then later in the year there’s going to be a special, special edition with… well there’s so much stuff it’ll be on two DVDs.”
    there is more also about plans for the sequel

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    OH MAN!
    I smell Directors cut!!!!(NC-17 version)
    God I hope so!

3. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I was going to buy the release at the end of July but, like Black Hawk Down, if they are going to have a special edition release sometime in the near future I'll just wait.

4. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    ooh, I just orderd mine...
    Is the movie any good?
    I never played the game or saw the movie at the theater..

5. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I wonder if the 2 disc release will be pushed back too 2003 just like they did with Black Hawk Down.

6. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Jens - That's a question that will get a fairly wide range of answers, depending on who reads this thread [​IMG]. Personally, I found RE to be a very entertaining ride and I definitely plan on picking it up. I just share the same concern as Chad - hopefully it doesn't get pushed into 2003 though with the number of major releases coming at the end of the year I could definitely see them doing that.

7. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

8. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I took my g/f to this movie at a 2nd run theater.... hmm, bad mistake! She was scared sh*tless! heh. I found it somewhat entertaining, I think I'd put it along the same lines as 13 Ghosts... fun, but not a great movie [​IMG]
    Of course, I bought 13 Ghosts... hehe
    Chris.

9. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

It's things like this that give rereleases a bad name. Really, they never announced a date, or even better yet. This is just coming from the director which doesn't make this a sure thing. Although I'm pretty this release will have, it would be wise for Columbia Tristar to announce a release date like the Lord of the Rings has. On another note, I really enjoyed this movie and I recommend that it at least be a rental for others but I can see why some people would give this show a bad rap.

10. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

I sure hope Columbia decides to include a DTS track on this SE of Resident Evil. Who thinks they will?

11. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Oooh, sounds like I'll be waiting for the fancy schmancy 2-disc set! I had a good time with Resident Evil, and if there's going to be a goopier, nastier 'directors cut' early next year...I want that one! [​IMG]

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

13. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I will get the first release, because I don't feel like waiting forever to own this cool film. I'll just sell it off when the second release comes out, unless the 2 disc version doesn't include all of the extras that are on the first version, in which case I'll keep the first version as well as get the 2 disc one.

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I want to see all the stuff they pulled out. Supposedly the movie was NC-17 because of violence.

15. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Presumably they're still working on the 2-disc version, which is why they can't present an accurate release date for it yet.

If the next version is the hoped-for NC-17 cut, I wonder if it'd have a different commentary to the current shorter version. That would make the current theatrical cut a keeper of sorts, as I'd hate to be without a disc where (as DVD File mentioned in their review of the commentary track) Milla Jovovich pledges to get butt implants if fans buy enough copies of the current release.

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think they had to cut stuff out from the original version to make it NC-17, then cut even more out to make it R. So I presume the 2-disc DVD will be the unrated version.

17. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

18. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

20. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I get it. As in, it 'still' got an NC-17 rating, even after they'd trimmed it down to what they thought would be an R-rating. So they obviously had to impose further trims to get to the final R version. (This apprently happened to John Woo a number of times when he was trimming HARD TARGET down from his original cut).

Of course, if they had wanted to release it NC-17, they could have just resubmitted their earlier, uncut version. The fact that they were obligated to provide an R-version for the theatrical release was what caused all the problems.

Either way, if the 2-disc set features the full-length version, I'll be a happy camper.