Patton

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

So we're doing some WWII seminar in English and I get to be Patton. I was just wondering if anybody knows how much of what George C. Scott's Patton says in the movie can actually be attributed to the real man himself. Especially "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

2. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

if i'm not mistaken that is a true patton quote. much of the movie patton can be taken verbatim.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

that quote is from a real Patton speech. I actually know that entire speech by heart (I performed it in school for DRAMA [you should have seen the jaws hit the floor]). [​IMG]

4. Andrew_Sch

Mr. Lutter, please share some more knowledge. Is it the same speech verbatim as the opening of Patton, or are there some differences?

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Andrew:

You can find the entire actual Patton speech on the Web. It is longer and MUCH more profane than the movie version (Patton minced NO words in it).

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

yes, the speech in the movie is shorter... the longer version is much more graphic...
    here is a link to the 'real' version of what he said (the same one I used to memorize [​IMG] )
    http://www.whysanity.net/monos/patton.html

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

8. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

The movie was based on the book Patton by Ladislas Farago and probably can be found in a library.
    I don't remember anything about the speech in the book though, so the link to the site is appreciated here.

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Andrew, the links they provide are find and all, but do be aware of one thing: they're all supposed transcripts. The actual speech was recorded, destroyed, and re-recorded by a person who sounded a lot like Patton. And last I heard, the closest thing to a true speech is still held by the Patton estate.

10. Andrew_Sch

Two things, first does anyone know where I might find the text of the audio essay about Patton from the DVD. Secondly, I just like to make a public affirmation by stating that Gen. George S. Patton Jr. was THE MAN[​IMG]