Patton SE Reissue?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ravi K, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Does Fox have plans to reissue the 2-disc SE of Patton?

2. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

There was a 2 disc SE of Patton? I didn't know that.

I have the R1 single disc THX DVD, and it is mighty fine.

3. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

There was a 2-disc set with a nice isolated score. I heard that was why it went OOP, but I don't know that to be sure.

4. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Personally, I thought the late Jerry Goldsmith's score on Patton was one of his less-remarkable works. It's good, but it just doesn't make chills run down my spine like I think it should.

5. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Really, I love the score. Very evocative and moving. I have the 2 disc SE and it does indeed has the score on it. Not too much else, but it's not a bad disc. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.

6. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I don't think the two-disc version went out of print because of the isolated score. It disappeared at the same time as several other two-disc Special Editions Fox put on moratorium before they were released again, repackaged and repromoted.

I've been waiting for Fox to re-release this edition. Just put it back in print, I'm ready to hand over my money.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

If anyone is interested, I have a few of the 2-disc Patton SEs for sale HERE.

Thanks!

Mike (HTF Gold Trader and keeper of the HTF Good Trader's List)

8. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

I felt that if they were going to re-release it, they would have done so, like they did with TSOM, Cast Away, etc. I broke down last week and got a copy of the 2-disc version on eBay for about $9. Not many copies floating around there.

I guess I'll deal with the edge enhancement until they reissue it with a new transfer [​IMG]

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Since the release of the 2-disc edition, I think Fox has performed a full restoration of Patton in 65mm. If they were to re-release it, they should use a new transfer that uses the 2.20:1 framing and ditch the edge enhancement.

10. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Funny, I've noticed no edge enhancement on the single disc THX certified edition. Is it a different transfer than the 2 disc SE?

11. ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke Stunt Coordinator

DVDuell.de
    20th Century Fox Germany will start a new DVD series called "Cinema Premium Collection", starting with 2-DVD-sets of "Laura", "All about Eve" and "The Day the Earth stood still" in October 2005. "All about Eve" was available only as a bare bones release with the old transfer, "The Day the Earth stood still" only as a single disc release without the documentary. The new 2-DVD-set will feature all bonus materials from the RC1 plus a new featurette.

Here are some news about future releases:

"Patton" will be part of the new series but there's no word if this one will be different from the old 2 disc set. The old one ist still available in Germany, so I don't see any necessity in releasing it under the new banner if there are no differences.