What's new

Blu-ray Review Patton (2012 Remaster) Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
As i said i brought Von Ryans Express in london last week , it plays on my Sony region B player so Patton should be the same.
It does say Region A on the back though.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
DP 70 said:
As i said i brought Von Ryans Express in london last week , it plays on my Sony region B player so Patton should be the same.
It does say Region A on the back though.
Thanks, I'd be surprised if Fox has stuck with with region A locked, I'm sure the definitive answer will turn up on the net very soon.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Matt. This is great news. Patton is an all-time favorite of mine. George C. Scott's performance mesmerizes me every time I watch the film. Hopefully my pre-order from Amazon shows up in time for the weekend.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oddly enough, watching Patton at Fox was the first time I saw the movie. There are one or two things I learned from this depiction of Patton I'm trying to implement in my professional life.

And no, I have never slapped someone at work. Though I have wanted to...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's so interesting to go back a few years, and read through this:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=52846
The eyes of the innocent starting a thread, then cross-postings with some of my comments here at HTF, a pleasant and collegial discourse with Mr. Hafner, some quality moderation and perspective from pro-bassoonist, and then the over-riding comments from the VP over at Sony, relating to his discussions with senior Fox staff, warnings not to allow Paramount to DNR The Godfather, and his telling us far too much about a certain desert epic.
Among the more interesting parts of the discussion were the copy / pastes of my comments relating to my recommendations of Patton on small screens -- the original Patton was very much a two-sided blade -- vs larger screens, all of which making me sound a bit bi-polar.
I've ordered the new version, which I've not yet seen, from Amazon, as Fox has not given me the courtesy of a review copy.
What an interesting read, and visit back in time...
RAH

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Robert, did you remove all of your posts from that BR dot com thread? I can only see what you've written where you've been quoted, usually by the king of the world..
Vincent

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
That thread was certainly entertaining. I have the original BD (picked it up really cheaply to see what the fuss was about, and for the extras). I look forward to comparing it to the new release (I don't double-dip in hi-def very much--only once so far--but I'll make a special effort here).

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I desperately wanted to own this title, but refused to purchase that mess. I'm so glad it looks the way it does - watching it at Fox was proof to me that it's now worth my money.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
I guess you can call me a grump but I still feel that Fox should have a trade-in program for this. We all have sifted through the endless threads about the old release and how they botched it. Fox knows it too. Now they release essentially the exact same disc (trailers and all it sounds like) with a FIX for the video and expect everyone to rebuy it again? Seems a bit low to me.
Did Sony do a trade-in program for The Fifth Element? I don't recall but I thought they did. It would show a lot of class from Fox and honestly, most of the trade-ins would be from die hard Blu-ray and film fans anyways. The average consumer probably just doesn't care.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sony did offer a replacement program, IIRC. I don't see why Fox would need to, to be honest. The information was available this was a problematic transfer in the first place and people decided to buy it anyway.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, but if studios have to replace previous releases, then what's their incentive for releasing better versions of the film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Vincent_P said:
Robert, did you remove all of your posts from that BR dot com thread? I can only see what you've written where you've been quoted, usually by the king of the world..
Vincent
I honestly don't recall what I may have removed, but I know that when things began to get unpleasant over there, I did remove a number of them. I have no idea whether the extracts from posts were originally here or there.
I also recall that one part of a review, which was written a bit tongue in cheek, toward praising the release for those with small monitors may now appear odd out of context.
RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Kris Deering said:
I guess you can call me a grump but I still feel that Fox should have a trade-in program for this. We all have sifted through the endless threads about the old release and how they botched it. Fox knows it too. Now they release essentially the exact same disc (trailers and all it sounds like) with a FIX for the video and expect everyone to rebuy it again? Seems a bit low to me.
Did Sony do a trade-in program for The Fifth Element? I don't recall but I thought they did. It would show a lot of class from Fox and honestly, most of the trade-ins would be from die hard Blu-ray and film fans anyways. The average consumer probably just doesn't care.
Kris,
Agreed. It would be the honorable thing to do. The point should be made that many people received this when it was pre-ordered, and that most early reviews -- see the thread link that I've posted -- were glowing
RAH

nedinme

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ned
I first saw "Patton" when I was in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam back in 1970. They showed it in a tent at the artillery firebase. Unfortunately, they played the second reel first and then the first reel.. About half was through the first reel we had a mortar attack and they had to end the showing!!! With all that, I loved the film ( at least what I saw of it!!) When I got back to the States in December 1970, I saw it at a theater and gave it two thumbs up! On my list as one of the top 10 films in my collection! Waiting for delivery from Amazon. Thanks for the review!

Kurosawa

Agent
Real Name
David Fyten
Billy Batson said:
Yeah, but if studios have to replace previous releases, then what's their incentive for releasing better versions of the film.
This.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Kurosawa said:
No, not that. Their incentive is that we will buy new added-value content and we will re-buy movies when they're released in new and better formats more capable of resolving them with fidelity. The incentive should not be to make more money from customers they've burned with a defective product.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Billy Batson said:
If the studios have to replace previous releases because they botched them up so bad, the incentive would be to get them right the first time, especially with big collector's titles, so they don't have to replace them later. Fox isn't a hero here, the mistake shouldn't have been made in the first place. Now we're congratulating them for giving us the opportunity to buy the title again after they fixed THEIR mistake. I guess I'm missing where this is a good thing.
I would feel a lot better about it if this was some new uber UE that would merit a repurchase, not the same package with a transfer that has been fixed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
nedinme said:
I first saw "Patton" when I was in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam back in 1970. They showed it in a tent at the artillery firebase. Unfortunately, they played the second reel first and then the first reel.. About half was through the first reel we had a mortar attack and they had to end the showing!!!
If anyone has a more interesting (or scary) story about the first time they saw Patton, I'd like to see them top that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks