Patton: 2 disc version

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent Avery, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

I read somewhere (possibly here-can't remember)that the 2 disc version of Patton has been replaced by a single disc.

Which means that the 2 disc is getting dificult to locate a copy .

If this IS true I will mention that I purchased a 2 disc

locally at a company called C&L ( website: www cnl.com ).

Cost was 18.00 Cdn. They ship titles as well.They still had two copies as of feb.15.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I just got one on EBAY sealed for $24 USD shipped. They have all but disappeared from store shelves and the internet and have been replaced by the 1-Disc version. Get it while it's hot! [​IMG]

3. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

I found mine in a pawn shop for a few bucks cheaper than the newer issued single disk. However the packaging was slightly damaged, but completely salvagable and rebuildable.

The second disk houses a long documentary that was as good as I've seen for any movie (Hampster Factor excluded), but sadly because of the directors passing they did praise him a little too much (not to mention he didnt get to comment).

Overall a VERY worthwhile movie and DVD.

4. Bill J

Bill J Producer

It sounds like The Abyss, ID4, and Cast Away are getting the single disc treatment as well.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

For the first time, most people are paying attention to how home video works. They take every single notice of something going OOP as if it's forever

They just yanked the titles for a few months till this new re-promotion in May, don't worry about it. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, but I bet you don't have to worry about all these pulled discs showing back up in May

6. Markus Lidstrom

Patton won't be back however. You can only find it as a single disk 'Fox War Classics' disc as of a few months ago (read: 6).

I'm positive that the other Fox titles soon to receive the torture of P&S, will absolutly be back in print soon thereafter. Studios just need them gone so their fullscreen lines have no competition and they can boast that they sell just as well as widescreen counterparts.

7. Jeff Koch

Jeff Koch Stunt Coordinator

The new single disc version of "Patton" does NOT contain Jerry Goldsmith's isolated score due to incidents of music pirating. This originally stemmed from Goldsmith's score for "Alien." The score was bootlegged because it was isolated on the 20th anniversary disc. Universal removed Goldsmith's isolated score to "The Mummy" on the Ultimate Edition as well.
    Fox will no longer allow isolated scores to be included on their dvds because of these illegal acts. As long as bootleggers continue to steal music and people buy their crap, it hurts all of us. DON'T BUY BOOTLEGS!
    Jeff

8. Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence Stunt Coordinator

I don't get it. Couldn't pirates just bootleg the soundtrack CD's? Or is their something special about these tracks on the DVD's?

9. Jeff Kleist

Lannie, this scores are not available COMPLETE anywhere else. That's the issue.

10. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

11. Jeff Koch

Jeff Koch Stunt Coordinator

Jeff said to Lannie:
    "this scores are not available COMPLETE anywhere else. That's the issue."
    Jeff, you hit the note right on the head!
    Jeff

12. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I'm still waiting for SEs of The Thin Red Line and The Longest Day.

13. Jeff Kleist

Chad,

They can discontinue a title for a day, a month, a year. I was a video buyer for 2 years, I have seen the patterns. They pull a title for usually 2-6 months at a time, and then repromote it. I bet all of these titles show up on the same day as the P&S releases, or at the very least by the end of the summer

14. Markus Lidstrom

Im happy with the current DTS "Thin Red Line", mostly because I bought the show for the cinematography. However if the 6 odd hour director's cut popped up with a commentary, I might double dip.
    However, I wholeheartedly agree that "The Longest Day" needs at the bare minimum a new transfer devoid of all the white specs that plauge the current release.
    Regarding Discontinuing:

15. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Jeff, I know what you mean, and agree that they could pop back up at any point in time. Just seems to me that with The Abyss, ID4, POTA, and Cast Away also dropping off to single discs, that Fox is trending toward 2-disc sets being available for a limited time. In fact I would argue that it is more than a trend, for example From Hell (limited 2-disc, rereleased as 1-disc).

16. Bill J

Bill J Producer

17. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Regarding Patton, I had the two-disc set on the top of my want list for the longest time, but for whatever reason, I never got around to picking it up. Finally decided about a month ago that it was now or never. Had to search through about ten online retailers (via www.dvdpricesearch.com) before I found a copy of the two-discer. Ordered my copy from Canadian e-tailer www.dvdboxoffice.com. Got it for under $22 USD shipped, and I ordered the superior Canadian Alliance version of Good Will Hunting from them, too.
    The two-disc Patton was on the market for two years, so while it will never approach the rarity levels of, say, the out-of-print Criterions, the well is certainly starting to dry up on it.
    If you want it, get it now--I, for one, do not believe that we'll see it again at retail. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
    -mwb-

18. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

19. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

About the Thin Red Line; while I love this film to pieces esp. the *incredibly* proficient scoring (by that 'hack' Zimmer no less); Fox could care less about it. In fact, they can't give it away. That is, it's a part of their new free DVD promotion here.

The day you see a special edition is the day you see Lachlan Murdoch as the new CEO of 20th Century.

It ain't gonna happen given the relative unpopularity of the film and the extended runtime of the DVD.

T.