Patrick Warburton HAS to play Shazam...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, Aug 16, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was reading Alex Ross' Shazam book the other day. And Patrick Warburton came on the tv. I swear he would be perfect for the role. He is a little older and has got the build, square jaw and everything. I really hope the producers doing the Shazam movie are looking at him for the role.

[​IMG]

Alex Ross' version:
    [​IMG]

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I think he would be great as well. I just hope that the fact he played The Tick won't have any bearing on this.

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

He's primarily a comedian. What, aside from his looks, makes anyone think he would be right for the role?

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, there's a little humor inherent in Captain Marvel - Shazam, of course, being the wizard who gives him his powers. One of the comic writers who used him in the last few years (might have been Geoff Johns, currently writing him in "JSA") said Captain Marvel isn't just Billy Batson in an adult body, but Billy's idea of what a grownup should be (or at least, that's how he was writing the character). I think Warburton could project that pretty well.

And that's aside from the villainous worm and talking tiger...

Besides, I've seen Warburton in the occasional dramatic part, and he wasn't bad. I don't know if he'd have much heavy lifting to do in this movie, acting-wise - that would probably be reserved for the kid playing Billy.

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

If u look in the Shazam thread from about 2 months ago - he was my pick [​IMG]

6. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Good points [​IMG] hadn't looked at it that way [​IMG]

7. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I thought Shaq already did an excellent job.....

8. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

As Jason pointed out, the character's name is Captain Marvel. Shazam is the name of the little old guy who gives him his powers. [​IMG]

Anyhoo, Warburton would pretty much be perfect. If you've ever read any Captain Marvel comics (especially the work of the great CC Beck), you'd know there is a lot of humor and fantasy in the stories.

Listen up Warners/New Line: don't try to make Captain Marvel hip, cutting-edge, or socially relevant. Make your Shazam film a big-budget four-color superhero art-deco period piece. 1940s setting, Dr. Sivana as the super-science villain, Black Adam as the muscle, and Fawcett City as the locale. Introduce CMJr. and Mary at the end of the film. And don't screw it up or I'll personally spit into every 50th Krustyburger.

9. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I agree, this would be best done in a period setting. A real 1940's setting, not some lame Batman style mix of the old and new.