Patrick (or others) some sonosub advise please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Casey H, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Casey H

Casey H Stunt Coordinator

Patrick (or others),

I have worked out in LspCad a design of 226L tuned to 18hz using either a 6 inch, or (2) 4 inch ports. Can you tell me what adv/disadv there would be to using either? I prefer the six by default.

Also, I am thinking of using 24" tube with 1.5 on top and 1.75 on the bottom (1/4 inch ply for t-nuts).

I did this design per Dan W's recommend for a HT/Music "best option". Can you offer any rebuttal? or just other suggestions? I will be using mine 85 HT 15 Music (but want the quality for music when I listen to it)

Thanks for the help! Casey

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well a single 6" has more circular surface area than a pair of 4" ports. And has less material (being only one tube) to cause frictional loses. But the 4" ports are flared which can help a lot. You can get 6" port flares, but they are like $50-$60 a pair and hard to come by.

But bottom line, a chunk of 6" PVC pipe will be cheaper than a pair of 4" flared ports. And myself and many others have noticed no port noise using a 6" straight port.

3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Dustin is right, 2 flared 4's equal about a straight 6 but cost more. Pick up the 6" locally and you'll be fine

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Damn, too late for my own party. I also like the less work aspect to using the 6" wide PVC port. I saw them at Lowes if you're lucky enough to have one near you, otherwise, you'll have to buy them at a plumbing supply store.

5. Aaron_Morris

Aaron_Morris Stunt Coordinator

Curious, would PVC be recomended over a cardboard roll?

6. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Cardboard is lighter
    Plastic is stronger
    But who is going to stand on it anyway

I thing most people go for PVC because of availability rather than any other reason.
    Commercial sub have Cardboard well some that I have seen

warrick

7. Casey H

Thanks for the help guys! :)
    Should I go with the 18Hz tuning or go lower?
    Thanks, Casey [​IMG]

8. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

it was very cheap when i did my dual 4 inch flaired ports i got 4 flairs at a buck a piece and then got some 4 in thin wall piece of pvc i used alot of cauck to hold the ports in place and if they do move i can allways drill holes and put screws in

9. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Slightly off topic:
    I noticed, Casey, that in your initial thread you mentioned use of a computer program to figure dimentions. While I don't want to start a brand new thread, here's the question (for anyone who wants to answer [​IMG] ). I'm looking to build a Shiva sonosub. What program can I use to figure dimentions, or input the dimentions and see how it'd turn out sound-wise?
    BTW, I downloaded WINisd, but it's a little confusing.
    Any help is appreciated.
    «edit»
    While playing with the data on the Adire Audio page and entering it into the program, it appears I'd need to have quite a large enclosure to get good depth and response. I just want to make sure I learn everything right, and don't want to learn the wrong things. [​IMG]

10. Adam Bluhm

As you can see, I'm unable to finish two of the categories (Z and Pe).
    [​IMG]

11. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Adam,
    all the specs are here
    the Z = Impeadence
    Pe = Power handling (375W per voice coil; 650W total to the driver)
    There is also Adire own program
    here
    Warrick

12. ChrisAttebery

Adam,

If you are going to build a Shiva, go to Adire's website and download the reference designs for the Shiva. They have frequency response curves, internal volumes, port lengths, etc. Then all you have to do is pick an alignment and use their numbers to build your sub. It doesn't matter if you're building a sono or box, the volume, port length, etc don't change. It is alot easier and your basically guaranteed that it will sound good.

Good luck,

Chris

13. Adam Bluhm

Thanks, fellas. I'm on lunch break from work right now and I'll look further into their site and downloads for proper specifications.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

Casey..how long was your 6" port of your calculations?

15. Casey H

Tom,
    In LspCad it is just under 23in. (22.99). That is at 226l tuned to 18Hz with 25% fill.
    Thanks, Casey [​IMG]

16. tom_furman

Hmm...very close to my calcs. I had originally gone with 223l, and a 6" port that was 20" long. Have you decided to go with a PVC or paper port?

17. Casey H

Tom,
    I am going with PVC, we have a Lowes close and they usually carry that size.
    The idea of the sub came from a post on the Harmonic Discord Forum where Mr. Wiggins gave his idea of a HT Destroyer sub. So that is what I have been shooting for.
    "If I wanted a big HT destroyer on the cheap, I'd consider a Tempest in 8 cubic feet, and tuned to 18 Hz. Powered with 250-350W, it'll run with any commercial sub available for under $2K. Considering that a Tempest can just about match a pair of Shivas, and our Dharman subwoofer - a Shiva based finished sub - equals a Velodyne HGS15, a single Tempest could beat an HGS18, or a pair of HGS15s".
    http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forum...pic.php?t=6251
    Casey [​IMG]

18. tom_furman

Excellent...I contacted Adire and they too suggest 8 cubic feet for use with a Tempest. They suggest 2 4" ports though. But because I would have to spend more money and use a 15" to cover them up, I wanted to go with a 6" port.
    I'm planning on using a 20" Sonotube so mine will be a bit taller than yours.
    I already ordered 2 PE 250w amps and 2 8" grill covers. (I'm planning on making a second when I move houses, and I want them to be exactly the same)
    Now I just need a plunge router (I only have a normal router) [​IMG]

19. Casey H

Sounds good Tom,
    I had a concern about the dual 4's vs. the 6 and more than one person (Pat, Kyle, etc.) said the 6 would be fine and a lot less of a pain to install (assuming you don't pay an arm and leg for it). I know they carry 6 at Lowes if you are close. Also, if you have the cash (or need to save) I highly recommend the Dewalt 621, I have been tickled with its operation, as have many others on the forums.
    Good Luck! Casey [​IMG]

20. tom_furman

I saw that router at the store the other day [​IMG] Looks very nice. But I cant bring myself to spend that much on a tool I'll hardly use. Heck..I've never needed one my entire life until now! I usually use my plain router. I'll probably take the middle road and get a craftsman for like $100.
    And then I got to make my own jig...[​IMG]