What's new

Patrick Dempsey classics on DVD (1 Viewer)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I finished watching Can't Buy Me Love on TBS earlier today, then immediately ordered a double anchovy pizza and ran to the computer to check to see if this or Patrick Dempsey's other classic film (Loverboy) were available on DVD. While neither are currently available, I did find out that Can't Buy Me Love is slated for an August 13th release. As expensive as August is beginning to look, this is another one I'll be adding to my list to pick up as soon as it's released. Is anyone else as excited about this one as I am, or as angry over the fact that Loverboy is not yet available?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Glad about Can't Buy Me? Yes. Upset about Loverboy? No. :)
I just hope Can't Buy Me Love is in OAR. These movies seem to be the first victims of P&Sing, right after family films. I don't remember being upset when it was announced, so I assume it's cool.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Isn't the name Patrick Dempsey and the term "classic" in the same sentence somewhat of an oxymoron?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Count me in for CBML, and yes, I'm angry as hell about the lack of a "Loverboy" DVD.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Hey now, give PDemps a little credit! His limited catalog of starring roles are much better than anything ever done by Jon Cryer (although I have to admit I was a little tempted when I saw Hiding Out at BB last week). And at least PDemps' ego was never so inflated that he had to include his own name in the title of one of his movies (see "Jon Cryer is Hiding Out", and "Switch Jimmy Smits" as examples).
While not as lauded as other 80's classics, CBML & Loverboy deserve...well, at least a little credit. Just look at the supporting casts! CBML had a very young Seth Green, while Loverboy had Carrie Fisher and Vic Tayback! You just don't get quality films like this anymore. :D

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I seem to remember liking the movie "Run" ... of course, I was only 15 at the time, so ... it could be one of those flicks that I watch now and ask myself what the hell I was thinking.
Link Removed
"Hey, why aren't my movies on DVD?"

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I could chime in here. Other guests on Loverboy include Barbara Carerra, Kate Jackson, and Kirstie Alley. I have been waiting for this release to dvd as well. I wouldn't count on much extras however. To my knowledge, there wasn't much behind the scenes footage going on at the time. However, if the dvd is ever released and there's anything you want to know about the movie, I'll be glad to answer any questions. I was the 2nd Assistant Cameraman on the movie ;)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
'Can't Buy Me Love'. Wow, there's a movie I thought would never see DVD. I'll have to get this one, it's my favorite Dempsey movie.

DanHaya

Second Unit
Hey, I was just making fun of the thread of the title...I don't think there's any question that Patrick Dempsey is a much better actor than Jon Cryer. His name was just the first to pop in my head of an actor from the mid-to-late 80s that had similar roles. We all forgive Jon Cryer for "Superman IV"...he couldn't help it! LMAO

I watched "Can't Buy Me Love" this past weekend as well...it's one of my favorites teen movies of the 80s, along with "Weird Science" and the first "Teen Wolf". Of course, there were better films ("The Breakfast Club", "Fast Times At Ridgemont High")...but who could forget how hot that Hilly chick was from "Weird Science" or even Boof from "Teen Wolf"? Come on! :b

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Randy, you aren't alone. I would buy an OAR Some Girls in a heartbeat. That was a great movie!

-Keith

StuartK

Grip
Actually, I really wouldn't mind seeing a good DVD of "In the Mood," either.

That was mostly true life story of the Woo-Woo Kid, a teen who somehow had affairs withtwo older women, one of whom he shortly married. I believe one of the women was played by Beverly D'Angelo. It was written and directed by Phil Alden Robinson (Field of Dreams, Sneakers, Sum of All Fears).

Saw it on cable a number of times and really liked it.

BTW, count me in as one who finds Loverboy an enjoyable little film. Nothing great but an enjoyable 80's flick.

-Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks