What's new

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue - WOW!!! (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I heard track 11 @ HE2002 a couple of months ago and asked the CD. It was Cafe Blue from Patricia Barber. I got it yesterday. I don't know why I waited so long... I am in heaven. It seems every piece on that CD has the secret code to my heart, the ingredient to stir my soul. This is the best Jazz album my neophite ears have ever heard. I brought to work today, because i couldn't wait 10 hours to listen to it again.
Are her other albums similar? What is considered her best work? Please recommend away!
PS: I have a little beef: The first track has a loooot of extra ssssssssibilance. It made me want to get rid of my Paradigms for a while until I realised that only that track was affected. Oh well...
--
Holadem

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Even better, it is now available on Super Audio. Reviewers have been raving about the sound quality being a step above the already excellent CD. :D

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The "Cafe Blue" SACD is wonderful. I just ordered "Nightclub" and "Modern Cool" on SACD and should have those in a week or so.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
This album will single handedly be responsible for my acquisition of a SACD player. I have already started inquiring and it seems the Sony 555ES is the one to get. I plan to get it within the next 2 months. In the mean time I will be looking out for used ones, hoping to snatch one under $500! :D
--
Holadem

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I cannot say for sure if they are hybrids, but I think they are. They are not Sony releases, so I'm just guessing.

I tried to get into Barber recently. Trying to expand my SACD collection and listened to a few tracks of "Modern Cool" on CDNOW just to get a flavor.

I ended up ordering Keb Mo's "The Door" instead. Something rubbed me the wrong way about Barber's voice. That deep, manly sound of her voice just didn't do it for me. I like that style of Jazz, but prefer a voice a little more soothing and feminine...like Diana Krall's over the brooding style of Barber. I know she has a devoted following here on HTF and other places, but I have to put my flame suit on right now, because she is just not for me.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Interesting you should mention Patricia Barber, last week when I, as I often do, passed by a couple of used CD stores on my way home, a friend played Modern Cool to me, and I immediately bought it. The next day I picked up Nightclub, so now I only need Companion and Cafe Blue to make my collection complete. I also note that Verse is listed to be released Aug 26...
Good stuff :)

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
When the opportunity for a couple of hours on the 2 channel
rig comes up, I almost always start off with "Modern Cool".
A must have CD. Also "Companion" is a must just for the live cut of "Let it Rain".
If you like Patty, then I urge you to grab Holly Cole's "Don't Smoke in Bed". Very accessible with a couple of tracks that are guaranteed to make your arm hair stand on end.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I was at 3 different CD retailers yesterday (it was a slow day at work) and none of them had any Patricia Barber CD's.
I'm willing to check her out, just can't seem to find any at my regular haunts. :frowning:

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
They don't stock as many CD's of hers as they do Diana Krall.

Bookstores (Borders, B&N) always have some albums in stock although the prices can be steep there.

Also you may want to order online if you want the more esoteric releases of hers.
First Impression Music has done the SACD, XRCD, HDCD Gold, and vinyl releases of hers, all better than the already excellent the reg. CD release.
Elusive Disc is a sight that I have used a lot and would highly recommend.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I see we agree on that one ;) It was the one playing at the show, the one that got me hooked. GREAT demo material. It is hard to imagine that the SACD could be better.
--
Holadem

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
How would one classify this type of music? It's obviously Jazz, but what kind?

--
Holadem

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I first heard her when I was auditioning some new speakers at my local dealer. He was playing the Companion CD, and I absolutely fell in love with it! I rushed out and bought it like the next day. I have yet to pick up another Barber CD, but I am leaning toward the SACD of "Cafe Blue".
"Black Magic Woman" off of the Companion CD just totally rocks. You can tell she really like the live setting of a jazz club!

I would classify it as bluesy jazz.

Matt

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I picked up "Nightclub" yesterday at Border's and my first impressions are very good.

I really like the way she does "Alfie" & "Bye Bye Blackbird" but her rendition of "All Or Nothing At All" is not up to Ms. Krall's version IMO.

I think I'll pick up "Cafe Blue" on Saturday now that I finally found a place that sells her discs.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hehe, I am glad that the impressions of a total Jazz newbie are making people buy her stuff! :)
Tell you that you don't have to be a scholar or expert to appreciate the good stuff.
--
Holadem

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I have "Modern Cool" on CD and "Cafe Blue" on vinyl.
Red Trumpet, Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds are all good places to find the more esoteric SACD, HDCD and LP releases.
I like that style of Jazz, but prefer a voice a little more soothing and feminine
Hehe... I like Barber but her choice of songs and her voice made me curious enough to do a search for "Patricia Barber Lesbian" in Google which confirmed my suspicions.
-Mike...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks