Patchwork veneer

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark_J_H_Jr, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Mark_J_H_Jr

Mark_J_H_Jr Stunt Coordinator

I have some veneer I am using on some speaker stands. The trouble is the free, note free, veneer is in rather small pieces, approximately 1 ft x 2.5 ft.

I need to make a patchwork pattern on the vertical part of the stand.

I have been told the way to butt or overlap veneer is to place the two pieces over the top of each other and then cut both at the same time with a sharp knife. The same way you do wall paper.

Is this the best way to go, or is there a "more better" way?

I know the best way is to order some veneer the proper size, but I am working on the free part of the equation here.

[​IMG]

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

From the limited amount of work I've done piecing veneer I've always done it the way you describe.

Yes, the best way would be to spend the whopping $40-$50 for a 4x8 sheet of veneer and use it. Sometimes "free" isn't always worth the time involved. [​IMG]

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

What Brian said. You'll spend several hours of labor doing the patchwork, so don't, unless you think you'll like the unique look of it.[​IMG]

4. Mark_J_H_Jr

Mark_J_H_Jr Stunt Coordinator

10-4 ya'll.

One problem is that I have no clue what kind of veneer this stuff is. I do not know how to identify wood. And I have already done the top and bottom plates.

I was hoping I could brag that I built a set of speaker stands for less than $10. I got a 4 x 8 sheet of MDF for 98 cents, the veneer was free, I had some glue and screws.

Thanks for the free [​IMG] advice.

Brian, I think someone is happy with his new subs.