Pat Metheny DVD- Imaginary Day

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I've just recently started getting into Pat Metheny. I picked up the Imaginary Day CD and liked it a lot. Layered, intricately textured, and even catchy.

I got the live DVD of the same name. Popped it in last night- very dissappointing. The video quality is weak. There's a lot of video noise, so much so that I put in another DVD to make sure there was nothing wrong with my player. It's especially annoying when the stage gets darker- you can't see anything.

The other thing I didn't like about the video presentation was all the pointless editing- you know, that disco strobe light effect and such. When the band members are taking their bows, each is repeated three times from different angles. Goddamn that's irritating.

The good part is that the solos are generally on camera, something that many concert videos lack (for some odd reason).

The sound quality is fine, but one thing bugs me: the DTS track sounds almost exactly the same as the Dolby Digital track. With other concert DVDs, like Iron Maiden's Rock In Rio or AC/DC's Stiff Upper Lip, I can feel a world of difference between the two. Not so here. One wonders why they even bothered to include it.

The performance is pretty good, but more for the piano player than Metheny, who's solos, as usual, are nothing special in and of themselves, but more as a piece of the whole sound.

The DVD serves as a nice surround-sound live album if you turn off the TV. Actually watching it can give you a headache.

I do look forward to getting the DVD-A.

NP: Wes Montgomery, Goin' Out of My Head

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Well, I'm very sorry to hear this review as I was really thinking of picking this one up. [​IMG]
    BTW, "the piano player" is the great Lyle Mays, graduate of my undergrad alma mater, North Texas aka "the greatest jazz school on the planet".
    Can anyone comment on the sound/video quality of the "Dejohnette, Hancock, Holland and Metheny-Live in Concert" dvd? This one looks very interesting to me. Also, any word on the "We Live Here" dvd?

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm also really interested in the Keith Jarret discs, though the one I'm really, really interested in - "Live at Open Theater East" - is unavailable at Netflix and my local BB. I like to rent before owning on these unknown/undiscussed discs as I've been burned before (particularly on music discs, jazz and otherwise).

One disc I'm completely thrilled with is "Diana Krall-Live in Paris". If you don't have it, get it. The DTS track is phenomenal. I also really dig "The Last Waltz" dvd. The sound quality will only ever be "so good", but I think they squeezed every last ounce of goodness into this mix.

A disc that I have a love/hate relationship with is "Jazz on a Summer's Day". A great film, a lot of great music, but the weird 5.1 remix (the only track available) seems to send much the same signal to every channel, except during long stretches where it's over-biased to the left channels... very distracting.

5. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

"Can anyone comment on the sound/video quality of the "Dejohnette, Hancock,
    Holland and Metheny-Live in Concert" dvd? This one looks very interesting to me."

It's great. Video is very good, 5.1 is decent, and the PCM is smokin'.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

PCM!!! [​IMG]

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Should we have a thread for good jazz DVDs?

Of course, a worthwhile performance but also Good sound plus nice atmosphere? I don't want to watch rock-style histrionics (on stage, or in the audience)

Is there a Site which lists and rates all the DVDs presently available?

8. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

I just spotted this thread, Mike. I've been listening to Michael Brecker's Michael Brecker a bit recently and I'm just beginning to appreciate what a good guitarist Pat Metheny is. Thanks for the heads up - I think I'll pick up this one during my next CD run.

The best jazz DVD I've found is Jazz Casual: DVD Vol. 1 Basie/Gillespie/Coltrane. The video quality is horrible, the audio quality is horrible, but Coltrane's music is out of this world. He only plays Afro Blue, Alabama, and Impressions but each is the best rendition of each song I've yet heard.

NP: John Coltrane - Jazz Casual: DVD Vol. 1 Basie/Gillespie/Coltrane (Alabama)

9. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

There's a dvd that came out recently of Buddy Rich's "Lost" West Side Story concert from the early 80's. I know it has 4.0 DD and DTS, but not sure about PCM. It's on the Hudson Music label which caters to the educational side of music but they do put out a great product. I think it's available on line, and you can find it at most music stores. There are also a few more Buddy dvd's coming from this company soon. For more info, there website is hudsonmusic.com.

10. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

It is funny to hear Lyle Mays referred to as "the piano player"...lol! He's so much an integral part of that band's sound.