Pat Matheny - Imaginary Day DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Weinstock, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone comment on the quality of the DVD-Audio recording of Imaginary Day vs. the CD? I'm mainly curious about the surround mix. I have the CD and love it, and it seems like it would have good possibilities for a surround mix, but ya never know.

Thanks...

2. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

I'm always happy to know there are other PMG fans out there. I'm a huge fan and had to get Imaginary Day DVDA as well (I already have the CD). There is an improvement in the audio quality, at least as much as I've come to expect from Hi-Rez audio formats. I actually really like the surround mix, their music seems to lend itself well to 5.1. The surrounds are active but most of the sound is kept in the front. Since you can usually find this one for $15-$17 it's definately worth picking up.
    If only they'd do The Road to You now, I'd be quite pleased.[​IMG]

3. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

I thought it was a great effort in hi-res surround. Not too much use of the center channel though. Too bad it's only recorded at 24/88.2 instead of a full 24/96 mix. I'm a huge Metheny fan and hope that his latest disc comes to dvd-a soon. I think most of his recordings would make great dvd-a titles. I also hope for a live dvd of his most recent tour. It was one of the best live shows I've ever seen!!

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Have they released his 1981 OFFRAMP yet?
    It is a favorite of mine.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I dig this title. This big band is served well by surround sound. The DVD-A is a great purchase.

Unfortunately, this is not true for the DVD video of the same name.