Past questions revisited

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinVM, Oct 9, 2002.

1. KevinVM

KevinVM Agent

Greetings,

I posted in May a few questions regarding HT and really was unable to go forward with anything I gleaned from it. I think I am now ready to continue my quest for entertainment upgrade. First...what I have:

1 room-13.5'W x 17'L - Hardwood floors
    TV-27" sony- nothing special and no plans on upgrading anytime soon.

Rotel RTC-940AX Tuner/Preamp
    Rotel RB980BX Power amp -110W per ch
    NHT 1.1 - No longer made
    Mirage BP150 powered sub

Ive been told I can use the power amp to run my mains, freeing up power to the other speakers-with the correct receiver of course.

The Needs-
    A receiver-Leaning toward Denon
    A DVD player- no plans on going to HDTV or anything-
    Speakers- Can I use my NHT for rears? other suggestions for fronts and center appreciated.

Im looking to buy myself something that will sound nice-I dont think I will be having any bouts of "upgraditus" but do want something decent and hopefully for around 1200. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Kevin

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Tough question to answer Kevin! Have you set a budget for your upgrades? If you are going to use your system for music as well as movies there are quite a few options. If you plan on getting into DVD-A or even Multichannel SACD a complete set of timbre matched speakers would be in order for the best sound.

3. KevinVM

KevinVM Agent

Thanks for the reply,

Id like to be able to use it for music also, but dont need to compete with symphonic halls and movie theaters. Im hoping to keep it around 1200 or so. Im unfamiliar with DVD-A and SACD.

Kevin

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

5. KevinVM

KevinVM Agent

Frank,

I dont forsee myself getting too much involved in either of those formats. So pretty much a nonfactor. Thanks.

Kevin