1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Password Protection?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Shannon, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Is it possible to password protect a file or (hopefully) a folder, without the use of an outside program (using only the OS)? If it helps, I'm using Windows ME...

Thanks in advance...

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The easiest way is to just put the file/folder where no one would expect it to be, like in a file folder for a game. You can even rename it to something that would make it look like it is part of the program.

You can change the file extension too, and just change it back when you want to go into it. For example, you can change a file called password.exe file to a rungame.brg, or whatever you want to.

Glenn

3. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

Not w/o a third party program with ME. If it is a Word or Excel doc, then You can lock it, but the net is full of cracks for those two programs.

You can get a free copy of PGP that can encrypt and protect files at http://www.pgp.com/products/freeware.html.

This may be more than you want/need, but I can guarantee it is totally secure, and the price is right!

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Not with ME or any of the 9x series. The only way to get folder-level security is to go with an NT-based system like 2000 or (ugh) XP.

If I recall correctly you can hide a folder (right click -> Properties -> Hidden); however, that will only work if the "Show hidden files and directories" is turned off in Windows Explorer.