Password protection with .htaccess/.htpasswd files

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jereme D, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I'm having some problems setting this up on a server. I've done it before several times with only minor problems, but I can't figure out what's wrong this time.

I created the files using a CGI script on my personal site and uploaded the .htaccess and .htpasswd files appropriately. I have to use a script on my server as I'm not allowed to access the cgi-bin where I'm trying to set up the script (This is PAID hosting, mind you.).

The passwords simply don't work. I was thinking that there could be another .htpassword file on the server somewhere as there are several folders that are hidden from me (the specifics of which I'm not allowed to know). I'm assuming that if there are multiple files, the one with the oldest date takes precedent. I put my file just one folder off of the root which is where another should be in a hidden folder so I don't think it matters which file is closet to the root.

I thought about using the full server path in the .htaccess file so I tried using both PHP and ASP scripts to pull this info, but neither worked. I guess I don't have PHP or ASP either. Haha.

Any suggestions or solutions are appreciated.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

The obvious thing is to confirm that you have the file contents properly formatted.
    However, keep in mind that .htaccess (therefore, .htpassword by association) is an optional function. It is not required for proper web services. Additionally, that file name can easily be changed in httpd.conf. For all we know, your hosting company decided to change the necessary file to .security, or something like that, or they've removed it entirely.
    The best thing for you to do is to contact your web hosting company as ask "WTF?" in not so identical terms. [​IMG]

3. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

The files are definitely right, as I have done this other times on different servers.

I've tried to avoid contacting support, as they are very stingy with information and generally not very cooperative with requests. I guess I'll have to break down and do it this time, though.

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

You may want to remind their tech support that there are just shy of a million other web hosting providers out there.

They probably just aren't allowing the use of .htaccess files in their apache config. A rather boneheaded move, IMO.