What's new

Password in XP (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I need to password my XP based computer so that if someone doesn't know the password they can't use the computer. A complete lockout for anyone who doesn't know it. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know. We just hired someone and he seems to be asking too many questions about business information that he has no need to know. It is a stand-alone computer. in case that helps.

thanks all
jay

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Have you ever thought of a program that records his activity on the computer, if he must absolutely have computer access. Otherwise, I am fairly sure you will need some sort of 3rd party software to lock him out completely. I will look into that for you-I don't really use XP.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If you want to completely lock him out I'd use the password feature in the BIOS - when set you can't boot the PC without a password.

XP can be set up to require a login with password as well, it's based on Windows NT/2000 which is business oriented and has security features, but they have to be turned on and tweaked to make it reasonably secure. The BIOS password is easier.

KJP

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Also, put on a screensaver password. That way he can't sneak in durning lunch.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
ok i did the screen saver password also i did the start up password. upon start up i tried typing the wrong password and it worked, it would not allow me in until i used the correct password. it will stay like this until i feel he can be trusted.

thanks again
jay

Kevin P

Screenwriter
To set up the BIOS password, you have to go into the bios setup. Watch the screen during the POST before Windows starts, you should see a prompt to hit a certain key (usually F2, F10 or Delete, depending on the BIOS) to go into Setup. From there you can set a password that would then be required to enter Setup and/or boot the PC.

As for security within XP, there are numerous options. You can set up multiple accounts, in case this guy needs access to the PC with restricted access. If you're using the NTFS file system you can use permissions to restrict access to sensitive information. If you really don't trust this guy, you can turn on auditing and account lockout policies, in case he tries to "guess" the password to get in, or access files he has no business accessing you'll know about it.

KJP

LewB

Screenwriter
Just be really careful not to forget the BIOS password as resetting it if you have forgotten what it is involves removing the lithium button battery on the motherboard which can be a PITA.
BTW, if Mr. Nosey wants to get around the BIOS password he might try removing the battery, defeating the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks