Passive subs with mains?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PeterK, Mar 5, 2005.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Due to my crap sony reciever not allowing me to set my speakers to small I am wondering whether it would be a good Idea to hook up a pair of passive subs to my mains and have them boost the low frequencies. My mains already go down to about 45hz and the subs I would be getting probably wouldn't go below 35 because I am not trying to spend a lot here. would it be worth it? I already have another crap powered sub playing my lfe and I was wondering if adding these two subs would help support it a bit better?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

PeterK,

A "small" setting for speakers re-routes the bass to the LFE channel. A "large" setting keeps all the bass in the channel. It would be worse if your reciever did not allow you to set your speakers to "small".

What is the crossover setting for your receiver? I would guess it is 80hz, so below that level the sound is routed to the sub. If this is the case, attaching a passive sub to the front channels would have minimal, if any, effect.

Furthermore, if you have a "crap" powered sub. I would recommend buying a "not crap" replacement for it before buying two mediocre passive subs for your front speakers.

3. dany

dany Supporting Actor

A nice SVS 25-31pci would blow you away.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I believe Sonys with a fixed x-over are at 100Hz.

If your receiver isn't up to the task, asking it to drive the additional load of TWO passive subs is likely to push it to the limit unless you ran them off a separate amp.

Getting down to 35Hz is still not going to give you serious rumble, so I don't think it would be a significant improvement.

5. Scott Lawrence

Scott Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

Not to mention if your front speakers are set to SMALL then nothing under 80/100Hz (whatever your crossover point is) is going down the wire toward the speakers... so adding a sub, passive or otherwise, onto that wire isn't going to help anything because there's no sound for it to reproduce.

Get a nice sub for your LFE and you might be amazed.

6. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Nothing under 80 in the bass. The speaker doesnt just stop working. I dont get what your saying? The sub will do all the bass under the x over and that leaves the main speakers to work nice and easy on the mid's and high's.

7. Scott Lawrence

Yes of course you're correct. The problem is that Peter wants to hook up some subs in-line to his main speakers. So from the L/R speaker terminals on the receiver, he would run speaker wire to the speaker-level inputs on the sub, and then from the sub, he'd run speaker wire to his front L and R speakers. In theory this is okay because the sub will strip out anything below 80 and play it, and pass on anything above 80 to the front speakers. However, that only works if the front speakers are set to LARGE in the receiver. Because his receiver only lets him set his fronts to SMALL, nothing below the xover will go out the L/R front speaker terminals and therefore there's nothing for these two new passive subs to play. The existing sub, of course, will still play the LFE channel but the new subs will have no effect.

8. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Hooking it up that way bypasses the reciever x over and now your using the sub x over.

9. Scott Lawrence

It would, yes, but you're overlooking one important detail: his receiver will not let him set his fronts to LARGE.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    More often than not, subs have a higher FIXED x-over than 80Hz. Very rarely are they adjustable, so I still don't think this is going to help the situation. Also, with THREE subs, you now have to calibrate all of them together. It would be a LOT simpler to get one good one, IMO.

11. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I am so sorry guys. That was a typo. My reciever will not let me set the speakers to anything BUT large. The manual says there is a small setting but it also says that in some circumstances that it cant set things to small. but it doesn't elaborate. so anyway, I can't set them to small.

thanks
    and sorry for typo

I would get a nice new sub. but I can't afford it and my mom would kick my ass because she already thinks the HT is too loud.

12. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Special cercumstances could be when you dont have a sub. Are you sure you cant choose small and sub yes. Sometimes when you choose no sub it auto sets to small.

13. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Ok. I got my speakers set to small. this is great. I had to be in the normal setting but I was in the quick setup setting. I put turned my sub off, set my center & surrounds to small, mains to large, and wired my front right speaker to my sub using high level in on the sub. Now the LFE track goes to the mains, then the sub. plus any bass that was on the right main track will go to the sub aswell. I am really liking this setup now, as it has quite a bit more bass than just running the sub.